"Newbie needs help"

benji88

Joined Jun 30, 2019
I've just started my electronics module and one of the questions ask's
What are the different techniques used in solving RLC circuits? I got Superposition Theorem and Thevenin's Theorem
Are there any other's?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

This newbie needs lots of help.

(1) Since this is course assignment it goes on the Homework Help forum

(2) There are over 1 million messages on AAC forums. Think of how useful is a title such as "Newbie needs help". A better title would be "How to analyse RCL circuits"

(3) Since you are asking about C and L circuits, how much do you know about reactance? What do you know about DC, AC, step response analysis?

benji88

Joined Jun 30, 2019
I see your point
I have some understanding of C and L circuits, and have done some work solving reactance in capacitors and coils.
was doing ok with Superposition Theorem and Thevenin's Theorem then they asked is there any other techniques used in solving RLC Circuits
and i'm stumped

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It depends on the complexity of the RCL circuit and how far into the course you have reached.
Have you started working with impedance, phasors and complex numbers?
I doubt that you have started doing Laplace transforms.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What kind of analysis are you trying to perform? Steady state AC analysis and transient analysis are very different critters. How are you currently analyzing a circuit with just one capacitor (or one inductor)? Are you finding and solving a differential equation, or figuring out the time constant and plugging into an equation that has been supplied to you without explanation of where it came from?

benji88

Joined Jun 30, 2019
I have only just started (it's early days)
I have not started working with impedance, phasors and complex numbers
or Laplace transforms.
I'm aware of them only because i have been looking for other techniques in solving RLC Circuits

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It would appear that you have just begun the course and have started with resistances.
RC and RL circuits behave very differently. This will come up in due course in another module.

benji88

Joined Jun 30, 2019
No analysis as yet just Trying to answer a question as best I can, It's a fairly broad question (I've written it below)

Research the different techniques used in solving RLC circuits, what are the advantages and disadvantages associated with the methods found? How do they compare to the method you have used the other Questions

In the other questions I used Superposition Theorem, Thevenin's Theorem and Norton's Theorem

Was looking to learn if there are other Techniques and the advantages and disadvantages of them?

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
There are specific analysis techniques associated with each of Kirchhoff's circuit laws. That would be a good place to start looking.

benji88

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Ok,
I've being going over this is it fair to say i could use Phasors, complex math and Laplace transform to solve problems on series-parallel R, L, C circuits as well as Superposition Theorem, Thevenin's Theorem and Norton's Theorem .