Newbie needs help!!!(like lots)-needs small water heating element

darkieboy

Joined Apr 8, 2019
Hi! This is my first post in this comunity, I just joined it.
In two months I have an electronics contest and I have a smart house project.
I want to heat 100ml of water with a 3.5W solar pannel. I only need to change the temperature with 1-5 degrees Celsius, to only prove that my sistem is working.
Where can I find a small water heating element and a water temperature sensor for arduino?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

We are happy to help, but we can't read minds nor do your project for you. What we need from you is more information.

We need to understand the context.

How is this a smart house project?
What is it supposed to do?
What do you already know about it?
Have you ever used an Arduino before?
Why are you using that particular solar panel?
Can you draw what you expect things to look like?

Help us help by providing information, and trying to do research and asking more specific questions.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
If that is just proof of concept then why not to use direct apply battery to heater?? Arduino will eat the energy and is not essential except if You want to demonstrate a rather tricky algorithm of max power extraction plus free conversion factor by AI adjustable DC/DC regulator. So, as the first thumb-rule apply the 0,0116 kWh to each kilogram of water to one Centigrade. Then buy a proper piece of kanthal wire, adjust it resistance (length) to Your solar battery and voila!

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Hi! This is my first post in this community, I just joined it.
In two months I have an electronics contest and I have a smart house project.
I want to heat 100ml of water with a 3.5W solar panel.
I only need to change the temperature with 1-5 degrees Celsius, to only prove that my system is working.
Where can I find a small water heating element and a water temperature sensor for arduino?
Do you have a 6 Volt Solar Panel rated at 3.5 Watts ?

approx 1/2 Ohm Resistor is needed for 3.5 Watts / 6 volts

Something like this 1/2 Ohm 5 Watt Resistor, can be used as a "heater" ...
https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/WW477PD/5W+0.5+ohm+.5+ohm+Wirewound+Resistor.html

Can be purchased on online, ebay or local electronics store.

darkieboy

Joined Apr 8, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

We are happy to help, but we can't read minds nor do your project for you. What we need from you is more information.

We need to understand the context.

How is this a smart house project?
What is it supposed to do?
What do you already know about it?
Have you ever used an Arduino before?

Why are you using that particular solar panel?
Can you draw what you expect things to look like?

Help us help by providing information, and trying to do research and asking more specific questions.
1. In my vision, this is a smart house project because we could provide the customer with indoor and outdoor services, depending on his wish. In each of the above cases we could simplify the customer`s life.
2. The first part of the project, and the main one, is about security. It will be a RFID Module that unlocks the house. When the house is unlocked, all the sensors are unlocked. The house can be locked with a short press of a Button. When the house is locked the sensors are activated. A Motion Sensor and a Frequency Sensor will sense the movement and each breaking window. When the sensors are triggeredthe buzzer will start an "alarm" and a GSM Module will make a call on a specific phone number. With a longer press of that Button, the alarm will be stopped.
The second part, is the one related with this thread. The Solar Pannel has to be moved by 2 Servo Motors, using 4 Photoresitors for the light detection. With the help of the Solar Pannel the watter from the Watter Tank will be heated. When the watter level from the Boiler will drop below 70%, water from the pump will be transfered to the Tank to the Boiler with a Water Pump. A Termistor will be used to measure the water heat and display it. The tird part is optional. We would like to use it because using the Microchip PIC16LF1937 microcontroller will increase our grade at a school subject and because in the jury will be the Natioanal Director of Microchip and our facuty has a partnership with them. The third part will open/close and a garage door will turn off/on the outside lights. The outside lights will automaticly open when the voltage of the Photoresitor will be low(it will be dark outside)
3. I think I answered already.
4. Yes, i had used Arduino Uno, but only for fun. I am not that familiar with the Microcip PIC16LF1937.
5. I am using that particular solar pannel because it is the cheapest we can afford(we have to invest like 100e in this project, and no one will give us a cent, so ya...We have the faith that we will win.
6. Here are the drawings. You can follow the drawings and get a better understanding of my project. Also, i hope that you will understand my messy handwriting.IMG_20190408_224636.jpg IMG_20190408_223912.jpg

I am sorry for replying that late, I had a tough day.
I am sorry for my bad english, still practicing it.

darkieboy

Joined Apr 8, 2019
If that is just proof of concept then why not to use direct apply battery to heater?? Arduino will eat the energy and is not essential except if You want to demonstrate a rather tricky algorithm of max power extraction plus free conversion factor by AI adjustable DC/DC regulator. So, as the first thumb-rule apply the 0,0116 kWh to each kilogram of water to one Centigrade. Then buy a proper piece of kanthal wire, adjust it resistance (length) to Your solar battery and voila!
I will use the solar pannel as a battery.
I think this sounds doable. One of my faculty teachers told me something similar. Can the kanthal wire be submersed? I think i will need a glass tube in which this wie will be placed. The tube will be submered in the water. Am i right?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
1. In my vision, this is a smart house project because we could provide the customer with indoor and outdoor services...
I am sorry for replying that late, I had a tough day.
I am sorry for my bad english, still practicing it.
No problem. I don't have time to look at this right now, but I will look at this later, and I expect others will help before then.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
If you'd rather not submerge a resistor in water, an alternative would be a small heating pad such as this one from Adafruit. Wrapped around your water container and covered by some insulation (a few wrap of towel would suffice), it should do what you want.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
At this point there is a serious need for a lot of reality checking. How much would 3.5 watts of power be able to heat the water at 100% efficiency, and how long would it take. Next, consider just the challenge of locking and unlocking a door in a manner secure enough that the kid next door is not also able to unlock it. After that, consider just the logistics required to implement all of those other functions.
My evaluation several years ago is that the whole "smart house" concept would not improve my quality of life enough to be worth the effort, even if all of the hardware were free, and all of the software functioned perfectly the first time. Automation can be great on a production line where everything is supposed to be exactly the same each time, but my life is not at all like that and I would never want it to be. Perhaps other folks should think about that as well.

darkieboy

Joined Apr 8, 2019
At this point there is a serious need for a lot of reality checking. How much would 3.5 watts of power be able to heat the water at 100% efficiency, and how long would it take. Next, consider just the challenge of locking and unlocking a door in a manner secure enough that the kid next door is not also able to unlock it. After that, consider just the logistics required to implement all of those other functions.
My evaluation several years ago is that the whole "smart house" concept would not improve my quality of life enough to be worth the effort, even if all of the hardware were free, and all of the software functioned perfectly the first time. Automation can be great on a production line where everything is supposed to be exactly the same each time, but my life is not at all like that and I would never want it to be. Perhaps other folks should think about that as well.
Sir, this is just a concept...It is an electronics contest. I don not need the 100% water heating efficency and I could use small electromagnets so the kid next door won t get in. Thank you for your comment. I see that i need alot more work at this project. I would really like to implement this in real life as well, and in my vision I strongly believe it will make our lives easier. I worked in Germany before starting the colllege and I saw a real smart house that blew my mind. You can say that your life doesn t need automation, but I d rather think that you are scared of it, as most of the people are. It is something new...Having the control of your property in your pocket.

darkieboy

Joined Apr 8, 2019
If you'd rather not submerge a resistor in water, an alternative would be a small heating pad such as this one from Adafruit. Wrapped around your water container and covered by some insulation (a few wrap of towel would suffice), it should do what you want.
Thank you!! That could work. As mentioned, I only need a small change of temprature to prove that something actually happens. I am so excited to try.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I d rather think that you are scared of it, as most of the people are. It is something new...Having the control of your property in your pocket.
That might suit your generation, or people with disabilities, but just doing everything by pushing buttons on a smartphone is anathema to a lot of the older generation who have had to go through various hardships in their lifetime. It's nothing to do with fear. It's about being active rather than lazy. What's wrong with crossing a room to operate a switch or adjust some control manually? Exercise is good for you :).

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
I want to heat 100ml of water with a 3.5W solar pannel. I only need to change the temperature with 1-5 degrees Celsius, to only prove that my sistem is working.
Put resistor together with soldered wires in long heat shrink tube and place it to your container with water.
1W power of resistor is enough for 3.5W dissipation, because of good cooling by water.
Almost 100% of energy will be used for water heating.
upload_2019-4-9_18-8-2.png

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Before I came to understand this thread was using a solar panel I thought of using an old coffee maker. They have both a small boiler tube and a pot warmer. Of course, both operate on 120 VAC, which negates this comment, but what the heck. I'm bored.