Newbie needs a bit of help -Reversable motor

Roboteer

Joined Dec 20, 2016
Working with a cub scout automation / robotics project. Have a donated reversible ac motor / gear head Oriental Motors 3RJ10GB-AUL . Want to wire a switch to allow reverse motion. My question if anyone can help me. ( bear in mind I am not an electrician ) What wire goes to what? I think I need a double pole switch , can anyone detail the wiring ? I have a 3 wire tool replacement plug from Home depot with Black , White , Green wires. Motor has RED,Grey , and Light Blue wires.
Trying to upload a pic.
Thank you for any help you can supply!

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
That looks like a 3-phase AC motor to me, not a DC motor. That's going to complicate things for you. On the up-side, if it's a 3-phase AC motor then I believe you can reverse its direction by reversing any 2 of the 3 wires. On the down side you're going to need an AC motor driver to make it work. On the up side again, the motor driver might have a reverse feature built in so you don't have to switch any wires to reverse it. Most of the flying toys (drones) use 3 phase AC motors, so I'm thinking this is similar.

Your life might be easier if you can find a DC motor to replace it. Then you can hook it to any DC power source (battery) to make it work, and just reverse the wires to reverse direction.

For example: http://www.kr4.us/Robotics-Motors-DC-Gearmotor

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Cool, I didn't know you could drive a 3-phase AC motor that way using a cap, I learned something! :)
While you can run a 3 phase motor on a single phase that is not the case with this motor. This motor is actually a single phase reversible AC motor. They are wound to look like this:

Reversible AC Motor 1.png

The capacitor used is found on the motor name plate data:

Reversible AC motor.png

So while it is possible to run a 3 phase motor on a single phase that is not the case with this motor. Additionally when running an actual 3 phase AC motor from a single phase I don't believe the motor will deliver its rated horsepower or torque. That needs considered in the case of usig a capacitor to run a 3 phase motor from a single phase. While it does work it isn't always a practical route to take.

Ron