Newb Needs Help Wiring A Light For An Automobile Gauge!

P2skater1

Joined Oct 5, 2019
Hi, I've looked all over and can't find the answer to my pretty specific question (due to it being specific most likely). I recently installed a boost gauge into my 1993 Toyota Mr2 Turbo with one problem left, I can't see it at night because I haven't wired the included light into the dashboard. I haven't the slightest clue on how to really do it so I am seeking help here. Ill include pictures below of the light. Can someone tell me what the color of both the wires mean? Is the black one the ground (I know nothing if you can't already tell). I've heard I can use a fuse tap piggy back in an ignition fuse slot in my dashboards fuse box and connect the wires from there, but I still have no idea how to wire the wires. Also the wires are only a few inches long on the light so how can I make them reach the fuse box which is a few feet away? Any advice/help is appreciated!

Attachments

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The US automotive standard is Black is ground and White is not common so must be power. Connect black to chassis and white to one of the fused circuits. You will have to butt splice onto them. Wire and butt splice connectors are available at any parts store.

Last edited:

P2skater1

Joined Oct 5, 2019
The US automotive standard is Black is ground and White is not common so must be power. Connect black to chassis and white to one of the fused circuits. You will have to butt splice onto them. Wire and butt splice connectors are available at any parts store.
Thanks, any advice on how to increase the length of the wires?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Ummm... You will have to butt splice onto them. Wire and butt splice connectors are available at any auto parts store.

And you should use the same color and gauge of wire as the ones you are splicing onto.

P2skater1

Joined Oct 5, 2019
Ummm... You will have to butt splice onto them. Wire and butt splice connectors are available at any auto parts store.

And you should use the same color and gauge of wire as the ones you are splicing onto.
Great news, I got a rough draft set up of the bulb and it works! I disassembled it because I have a question, for the grounding ring, can I put it in the middle of the cars metal frame, and a piece of the dashboards plastic Assembly? Ill elaborate, itll be in contact with the metal car frame on one side of the ring, and with the plastic of the dashboard on the other side, itll be sandwiched between the two. Is this safe? Does the grounding ring heat up thus melting that piece of the dashboard slowly?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Get one of these 12V test lights when you buy the wire and butt splices.

Connect the clip to your hot wire and "stick" the point to the metal you want to use for the ground point. It will light up the bulb in its handle if it is a good ground point. Not all metal, especially under the dash, will be grounded.