New member, 1 post

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
If you don't anwser e-mail,what happens,you get deleted.
No, your account remains live, and will continue to do so permanently. The only time we will delete an account is if a user PMs an admin directly requesting that the account be deleted. We may send a confirmation e-mail to your sign-up e-mail address so we can validate the source of the request is genuine.

I do not envisage we will change this policy any time soon.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I notice a lot that people will join the forum just to ask one question, then never post again, resulting in a bunch of new members who don't really contribute to the community as a whole.

Is it possible to create a "visitors" board where you don't have to be a registered member to post a question where knowledgeable members can reply?

Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion. We have considered options such as these in the past, and the most obvious implementation of this is the ability for unregistered users to post in the F&S forum. We have found this encourages viewers of the e-book to provide feedback and suggest corrections on the material; its is also a way for members to post should they be having problems with their accounts.

As for extending this beyond the F&S forum: we have always felt that if someone wishes to tap the knowledge of the community as a whole, then the least we ask is that they sign-up. Even if they make only one post, they still have made a contribution to the community in some way (something that is reflected in the Members List which only lists members with at least one post). We always hope that they return and contribute further, afterall it takes all types to make Internet communities work, but that is entirely their perogative.

If there is no reason to sign-up then I believe we loose a little part of what makes this a community. Furthermore, it presents an easy avenue for the not-so-desirables. For those reasons, I am of the opinion that the existing rules should remain as-is.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Goes back to what I said about memory and computing power being cheap. If we add 1 member per day (or more) computing power is growing expodentially. By the time we have 10000 new members we'll have terabytes more space, and be equivalently faster on the computers.

With this in play there is no need to change anything.