• a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

coneofsilence

Joined Dec 24, 2014
hello i'm newbie here :)

as i known, neutral has zero charge of electron. then how does with 220v AC?
in half of second, current flows from the neutral and go flowing to the L1/L2/L3, so how can electron come and flow?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
You are confusing 'Neutron', which has no charge with Neutral which is a name used to described mains wiring Line and Neutral.

E

coneofsilence

Joined Dec 24, 2014
hi,
You are confusing 'Neutron', which has no charge with Neutral which is a name used to described mains wiring Line and Neutral.

E
hi eric, thanks for answering.
i'm confused about neutral used for 220v ac (line+neutral). how can neutral provides current in a half of second? (based on alternating current principle).
i'm electrical beginner, so sorry if i'm asking stupid question. actually i'm still confused about ur answer :)

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
The Line [Phase] and Neutral are only the copper wires that form a conducting loop between the power station Alternator and the Load [ say a Kettle] in your house.
The loop wires do not create or provide current.

In many mains supplies the Neutral wire is also connected to Ground/Earth

Does this help.?
E

EDIT:
To keep it simple, I have omitted any mains transformers.;)

Attachments

Last edited:

coneofsilence

Joined Dec 24, 2014
eh sorry, aint a half of second, it depands upon its frequency.
hha get it eric, i'm quite undertood, thanks.

let's see this vidio, would u mind to watch it? here's the link

oiya, how about if i touch the neutral wire? am i getting shocked? (if the phase isnt connected)

the theory is, AC power comes up from different pole, it's not directly one direction, isnt it? if phase to phase, current flows from L1 to L2 then from L2 to L1. it's ok, both of them have potential different. but how about neutral+L1?
so sorry eric, i ask too much.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
oiya, how about if i touch the neutral wire? am i getting shocked? (if the phase isnt connected)
In an 'ideal' mains supply, touching the Neutral should not give an electrical shock.
BUT I would NOT advise you trying that as you can never be 100% sure how a circuit is wired.
Use an AC testt meter if you need to measure mains wiring

the theory is, AC power comes up from different pole, it's not directly one direction, isnt it? if phase to phase, current flows from L1 to L2 then from L2 to L1. it's ok, both of them have potential different. but how about neutral+L1?
so sorry eric, i ask too much.

The AC voltage on mains wiring is a sinusoidal waveform, which means for one cycle of the sine wave voltage, that the current thru the wire loop increases to a maximum in one direction then reduces to zero and then changes direction and flows around the wire loop... ie: its Alternates in Polarity and Direction in a sinusoidal way.
Hi,
I would suggest you do not use names like L1, L2 as these terms are used for othe mains applications.
Use, L-ine, N-eutral , E-arth

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also think of it this way, a Neutral conductor is ANY arbitrary AC supply conductor that is taken or referenced to Earth Ground for the purpose of creating a Neutral, it does not change the characteristics of the supply itself.
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Perhaps your confusion is from the statement that neutral is at zero volts. Actually there is a small voltage that appears across the neutral wire to push the current through the wire resistance. Thus, if you measure the neutral voltage to earth ground when it is carrying current at an outlet, you will measure a small voltage as determined by the current times the wire resistance from the point that neutral is connected to ground in the electrical panel to the outlet.

Does that help your understanding?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The word, "convention" comes into play here. It is a human agreement, a convention, to call one side of a power pair, "neutral". You could call the two wires Fred and Barney if everyone else knew that Barney was supposed to be connected to Earth ground. The fact that Barney is connected to the planet somewhere does not mean Barney can never have current flowing through him because being connected to the planet is not defined as having no current, no charge, and no conductivity. There is the point. You must divorce your beliefs about the word, "neutral" when that word is merely used as a convention.