Net Neutrality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'll do my best. But NN is a wholly manufactured purely political issue. It'll be hard.
Your efforts, and those of everyone, are appreciated. It should still be possible to discuss the technical merits/demerits of it or even the broader regulatory aspects without delving into demonizing this side or that side.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What I am in visioning is a situation like Electrical Power Deregulation rule changes had back in the early 2000's.

https://web.stanford.edu/~jsweeney/paper/Lessons for the Future.pdf

Most properly ran places will see no change to likely favorable change but the poorly ran ones will go nuts in the worst ways for the dumbest of reasons and that's all the world is going to ever hear about even if in reality the negatively affected areas and people only represent a tiny fraction of the whole and their problems are almost entirely self inflicted. :(

I would almost be willing to bet that, somehow largely through their own incompetence, corruption and greed, california is going to make a huge mess of internet services and then try and blame it on everyone else, (especially President Trump) and suposedly because of NN changes, all because of whatever new and totally pointless counter-regulatory regulations insanity they will come up with to try and squeeze more money out of their own people. :rolleyes:

Personally I expect to see no change or possibly even noticeable favorable change in my and the majority of area's. I could be wrong but given I live in a well ran state, so far, none of these sort of things regardless of the service industry and regulatory change, and timelines involved, have ever played out negatively here. :cool:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So far, the best explanation of what all this stuff about and who it will affect and how plus some rather interesting history of how we got from telegraph to internet and who politically screwed with what along the way.
It's from 2014 but pretty well sums up the behind the scenes issues going on today.

Stefan Molyneux, ~80 minutes. (Trigger Warning, obama gets badmouthed/called out for his dirty hand in things at the time.) :D

For the majority of us low bandwidth users (non mass HD video source point services) there's a good chance we will see improvements in our average and peak service speeds in most of our non HD video bandwidth demands. :cool:

BTW, as far as world internet service ratings go we are ~#30 not #1 in service, quality and bandwidth for our proportional money spent and it has more to do with questionable government backdoor dealings than it has anything to do with real free market network development and operation where greedy and crooked dealers get taken out by customer base shifting to more favorable sources, like they are supposed to. :(

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
So far, the best explanation of what all this stuff about and who it will affect and how plus some rather interesting history of how we got from telegraph to internet and who politically screwed with what along the way.
It's from 2014 but pretty well sums up the behind the scenes issues going on today.

Stefan Molyneux, ~80 minutes. (Trigger Warning, obama gets badmouthed/called out for his dirty hand in things at the time.) :D

For the majority of us low bandwidth users (non mass HD video source point services) there's a good chance we will see improvements in our average and peak service speeds in most of our non HD video bandwidth demands. :cool:

BTW, as far as world internet service ratings go we are ~#30 not #1 in service, quality and bandwidth for our proportional money spent and it has more to do with questionable government backdoor dealings than it has anything to do with real free market network development and operation where greedy and crooked dealers get taken out by customer base shifting to more favorable sources, like they are supposed to. :(
Awesome video. Ayn Rand couldn't have explained it better. Thanks.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

The thing that bothered me most was the fact that now the ISP company can, if they choose to do so, impose fees for anything they want to. For example, they might charge extra to use Facebook or even this site. That does not sit well with me, even if they dont actually do it. Later they may start to really take advantage of this so called 'right' of theirs now, and start charging for certain sites.
The other thing was that they might seriously cripple competition sites like Netflix because it will compete with their own TV cable service.
Dont know how much of this will actually happen, but i dont like the fact that it COULD happen.

The other thing i dont like is one of the head guys at Verizon got to make some of the decisions to get rid of NN too. That's totally nuts after many people complained about that. This guy is in gov now but he gets to choose, and because of the way he chose means he ignored the public's desires. Thus he does not represent the people, he represents his company.

Yes there are law suites springing up so let's see how it goes :)

Note:
If any of this seems "political" by the TOS standards, just let me know and i will remove that part of the post. I have no problem with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.