Need programmer circuit and info to program flash in Renesas R8C/26 cpu

Southernboy

Joined Nov 19, 2014
I am hoping that someone can help me find/figure out the circuit/schematic for a programmer to upload to the flash in a Renesas R8C/26 cpu. I have posted to Renesas forums but have not gotten answers that answer the question for me. Page 350 has been referenced in the various starter kit manuals (it is actually page 369 in the PDF's). That circuit leaves questions for me such as: what user provided logic? And where does the 4.7k or higher resistor go that is tied to pin 3 (reset)? Does it go to vcc? How do I plug in the cpu on a starter board? I have 3 starter boards (but none for the R8C/26-27). One is for an R8C/13. The cpu is a 32 pin flat pack. Evaluation boards appear to be to emulate the cpu rather than use it. Also I have not found any flash utilities for uploading the program for Windows. Delorie has a utility for linux but I don't run linux and am not familiar with it. DJ (Delorie) says that the cpu has to be set to mode 2 to program it. How do I do that? I have bought a couple cheap programmers but none seem to work with any Renesas (NEC) cpu's. The last programmer I bought said it was a Willem usb programmer but was not from MCUShop and no instructions. It did not even give me a clue how to program a PIC12F675 even though it was in the list the seller provided. To program my PIC12F675 I apparently have to use the 12F509 selection from the drop down but how would I know that?

I have googled and found little (other than my own posts asking the question as well as others asking the same question). It is not clear to me and others what I need to accomplish uploading the flash memory with a program. Can someone tell me in simple terms and hopefully reference a schematic (or a cheap programmer). The cheapest programmer that claims it will do it is $200 and goes up. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thank you.

Southernboy

Joined Nov 19, 2014
I see a couple other posts on this forum about the R8C but so far have not found anything specific about how to upload a hex file to program them. Starter kits do not have sockets for the cpu. I assume they must require icsp. If that is the case how can I program an R8C if I do not have the hardware built yet?

Has anyone programmed the R8C series? How did you do it?

Thank you.