Need help with this mesh/nodal analysis problem

mesaman000

Joined Jun 29, 2010
So guys. I'm having trouble with this problem..

I try using nodal analysis but don't know how to treat the voltage sources going into the nodes. So i decided to use mesh analysis and found all Ia, Ib, Ic, and Id.. I got Vo= .3 V but I'm not sure if this is right.. And also I have no idea how you're supposed to approach it using nodal analysis either.

Firstly can someone verify that the answer is .3 V? Cuz I got the current Ic going through that 1k resistor on the right (which is Vo) is .3 mA , therefore .3*1= .3 V..

And secondly can someone help me on how I can start this problem using nodal analysis?

I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

tskaggs

Joined Jun 17, 2010
There are three unknowns in this circuit: \(V_{y}\), \( I_{x}\), and \(V_{0}\).

From examination of the center node you can see that \( I_{x}\) and \(V_{y}\) are related by the equation

\( I_{x}=\frac{V_{y}-2V}{1k}\)

So now you only need two equations to solve the rest of the problem.

Perform nodal analysis with the supernode (i.e., the node that includes \(V_{y}\) and the source \(2V_{y}\)) and the node on the center/right-side (\(3V_{y}-V_{o}\)).

Do you need help writing the equations from this point?

mesaman000

Joined Jun 29, 2010
ermm..well for the supernode i'd have to include the current for the bottom left (we don't know the current going through that 2 v voltage source)

tskaggs

Joined Jun 17, 2010
Actually the 5 currents leaving the supernode correspond to the five resistors. So the supernode equation would be:

\(0=\frac{V_{y}}{1k}+\frac{V_{y}-2}{1k}+\frac{3V_{y}-2}{1k}+\frac{3V_{y}-(3V_{y}-V_{0})}{1k}+\frac{V_{y}-(3V_{y}-V_{o})}{1k}\)

Maybe that will help you figure out the last equation.

mesaman000

Joined Jun 29, 2010
OH i see..I thought you were including the bottom middle (ground) to your supernode but thats just ground so we already know what that is.. ahh that makes sense. Thanks a lot!!