Need help with superposition

parabol

Joined Mar 5, 2008
Hi all,

This is my first time posting here, and I hope I'm doing this right. But I am having quite a difficult time doing this problem. The textbook question, and my worked solution is included, if anyone could tell me where I went wrong, I would be very thankful!

The textbook states that I = 0.436A<-9.27 degrees

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

ecb123

Joined Mar 6, 2008
your 20+j30 are the problem in your Vab`s, you multiplied by the original values when you shoud use the series equivalent impedances you calculated for you two total z`s. The text answer is right, your numbers are all good except for your two values used.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
What I believe ecb123 (probably emitter, collector, base, pin-1, pin-2, pin-3; his clever pneumonic for remembering the pinouts of a bjt transistor) is trying to say is that you correctly calculated the total impedance for each of the cases of the superposition solution.

Where you got off the rail was when you calculated the voltage at the node you used (20+j30) in both cases when you should have used the parallel combination of 30||(20+j30) and (40-j50)||(20+j30) respectively.

Hope I haven't succeeded in confusing you with my explanation.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
parabol,

As an adjunct to my previous hint, I decided to include a Millman's Thoerem solution to your problem. This provides an independent verification of the answer which you included in your original posting of the circuit.

hgmjr

Attachments