Need help with a 555 timer. Using it with some car interior lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbot

Joined Jan 17, 2014
Well... First off, I really know nothing at all about designing circuits...
I've been reading about the 555 circuit, and I know what capacitors are and basic thing like that. But that's about where my experience ends. So... I'm hoping somebody can lend me some patience with this...

I have an classic car, that I've been trying to add some modern touches to.
I'm planning on adding power door locks, and I'm hoping I can take the 12v pulse (that unlocks the doors) from them, and use that to activate a 2 minute timer which would power a relay and turn on some interior LEDs.

That much seems simple enough, but I'd also like to tie into the ignition, so that when I turn on the ignition, it sends 12v into the circuit and shuts the light off again (before the 2 minutes are up).

And the final complication, is I don't want the lights to come back on when I shut the engine and the ignition off. (finally completing the 2nd 12v "pulse")

Has anybody done something like this? Would it be simple enough for an electronic incompetent to solder together?

I might even make a 2nd circuit that would turn the headlights on for about 10 seconds powered by the "unlock" pulse. But I'm thinking that should just take a standard 555 circuit that I kind find the schematics for.

Last edited:

Austin Clark

Joined Dec 28, 2011
This'll probably get locked because the ones hosting this forum are paranoid about legal issues involved with automotive safety.

Sorry :(

You could try a new thread stating the same problem, but without referencing your automobile. That usually works out ok.

Kirbot

Joined Jan 17, 2014
This'll probably get locked because the ones hosting this forum are paranoid about legal issues involved with automotive safety.

Sorry :(

You could try a new thread stating the same problem, but without referencing your automobile. That usually works out ok.

I wouldn't have even thought of that... I've rewired a lot of the vehicle, and this whole system would be fused, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll guess I'll wait it out and see if this thread lasts.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, sorry about that. We didn't make the rules but are required to enforce them.

There are other electronic sites which might be more helpful with your project.

The owners of All About Circuits have elected not to allow discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
• Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
• LEDs to mains
• Phone jammers
• Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
• Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Please do not bother to reword the question. It will not fly under the radar.

Here is a site that may provide you with some assistance: Electro Tech Online

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.