Need help identifying this component...

pikavaai

Joined Nov 28, 2018
Please ;-)
I don't know what this is, thought I have seen everything... some said a tantalum cap, but i cant find a matching part number anywhere ..5488 ?

If you happen to have a Zotac NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 512MB GDDR3 256-bit Graphics Card lying around, it's located on the back..

Thank you all for looking!!

Attachments

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
It could well be a Schottky diode. It appears to have a snubber across it (the adjacent resistor and small capacitor), which is a common thing for Schottkys.

Carefully measuring the body dimensions might be helpful. Tantalum capacitors are usually in very specific sizes, as are diodes. Most of the packages are fairly distinctly different, but not always. Most capacitor codes will include a letter or two.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes, it would be either a capacitor or a diode. Are you just wondering, or is there a need to determine what the device is? If the board is not working, or scrap, then unsoldering the thing and checking with an ohm meter will tell the whole story. A capacitor will initially show a low resistance that will rise as it charges, a diode will show some resistance in one direction and pen in the opposite direction. If the DMM has a diode check function you will be able to read the forward drop and get a clue as to what kind it is, shottky or just silicon. If the video board is working I suggest leaving well enough alone.

pikavaai

Joined Nov 28, 2018
Thank you for the reply, I'm a big fan of the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it", so the board is not working and the PC shuts down immediately after a start with this graphics card. I've measured the "diode" in circuit and it gives a short, ( no forward voltage, no capacitance) so that's why I'm suspecting it of being blown. I will unsolder as suggested and check again. Will post update later on.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thank you for the reply, I'm a big fan of the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it", so the board is not working and the PC shuts down immediately after a start with this graphics card. I've measured the "diode" in circuit and it gives a short, ( no forward voltage, no capacitance) so that's why I'm suspecting it of being blown. I will unsolder as suggested and check again. Will post update later on.
If it measures shorted then it may may be that some other part is shorted on the board. Unsoldering it will allow checking. Be sure to mark the polarity in the board for if you put in a replacement component. It may also be a sorted capacitor.