Need help identifying some transistors, please?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electronics' started by SWeeTS72, Jul 4, 2019.

1. SWeeTS72

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 6, 2019
    I have a radiator fan control module from a Ford Fusion (2014 I think), that has 4 transistors in it that I can't find any datasheets on. 2 of them are LUT51D03, and the other 2 are LUT80N80. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bwilliams60 likes this.
  2. danadak

Distinguished Member

Mar 10, 2018
    bwilliams60 likes this.
  3. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    Any pictures of them..?

4. jpanhalt

Expert

Jan 18, 2008
    What's wrong with the module? Does the fan just come on high and stay there or not come on at all?

I have a 2012 Fusion that had a misbehaving radiator fan. The dealer said it was the control module. Fortunately, before spending the bucks, I did some troubleshooting and found the problem. That was not it.

5. narkeleptk

Mar 11, 2019
    Ford usually masks their parts so you wont find anything other then aliexpress listings which may or may not be the correct parts with the masked label printed on it. Post some pictures of the pcb and describe the issue.

bwilliams60 likes this.
  6. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    The second one is an 80V 80A N channel MOSFET. Not sure about the first one yet.

Ross Thompson and narkeleptk like this.
  7. SWeeTS72

Apr 6, 2019
    Thank everyone for the responses. I'll try to answer everything. First, yes, I will post the pictures in a few. As far as what's wrong with it, all I know is that it didn't work (was a friend's that he replaced with a new one). That being said, I'm not necessarily interested in getting the module working for it's original purpose. I've recently been teaching myself electronics (mostly 12vdc or 120vac to 12vdc), and I've taken an interest in repurposing old broken electronics. So, I'm trying to identify what these are so I know what they can be used for. Thank you guys for your help. I'll post the pics momentarily.

8. narkeleptk

Mar 11, 2019
    Auto stuff is a bit harder to learn on since most components will be masked and also you will not be able to find any schematics available. A lot of Ford stuff is custom made as well and in many cases.like with drivers and gates the packages used are not common sizes found anywhere else.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    bwilliams60 likes this.
  9. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    I can appreciate your enthusiasm but I would be more inclined to start with SMPS's or stereos/TVs that you can find schematics for. My best education was on a Pioneer stereo that was way over my head but with a good group of guys on a forum, I found my way from a dead stereo to a $1000 gem that got tossed. Took a long time, some blown up parts and a lot of patience but the education was great. Like @narkeleptk says, there are no schematics and identifying parts as you have already found out, is for a more experienced crowd. Buy the book The Art of Electronics and dumpster dive until your hearts content. Learn THT first and then go on to SMD. there is so much stuff out there to fix but automotive is very different from the rest.

SWeeTS72 and narkeleptk like this.
  10. SWeeTS72

Apr 6, 2019
    Thank you for an encouraging response, they're becoming more rare nowadays. So a little bit of background on me... I'm 31, my profession is Automotive Mechanics, and my hobbies are pretty much any thing that I can use my hands to tinker with, build, or modify. I initially got interested in electronics because when it came to auto repair, the vehicle electrical system was always my downfall. So I figured id better learn up. I realized quickly (even tho I already kinda knew), that it's an entirely different world. Although it's an interesting one. That being said, I am pretty familiar with 12V dc circuits & the more basic components (i.e. relays, diodes, etc.), and somewhat familiar with audio circuits. I have not built any circuits from scratch, but I have repaired or modified more things than I care to count. (Mostly unimportant, simple, useless modifications jus for fun). I actually have 2 projects right now that are right in the category you were suggesting. I have an smps inverter that a friend found thrown away. (Best I can tell, it's an 120V a/c to dc 12V high current inverter that jus needs an octocoupler). And I have a Marissa Sing a long system (Kareokee), that I was able to diagnose and reaprair a "No On" situation. However, now that it turns on, I realize there's no audio output. That'll b next. Anyways, back to the task at hand...
    I mostly jus want to figure out what these components are so I know what I can use them for. I'm not concerned with repairing the circuit that they are in right now. And before anyone asks, "why don't you just run down and pick up what you need? Most components are really cheap anyways.", It's not that simple for me anymore since radio shack shut down. Now there's only Fry's Eectronics, which is almost 3 towns away from me. So it's easier for me to salvage most of the time. Anyways, here's the pics I previously promised. Please lemme know if anyone knows what they are. Even if it's as simple as , "hey, those two are N-Channel Mosfets", or, "Those are 'this' or 'that'", or whatever they may be. Thank you for your help and advice.

11. jpanhalt

Expert

Jan 18, 2008
    1) None of the promised pictures show up on my computer. Do they show on yours?

2) An essential part of any diagnostic is description of the problem. "It doesn't work" is not adequate. What are the symptoms, history, and have you done any tests on it?

12. SWeeTS72

Apr 6, 2019
    Here they are. Sorry for the delays.

13. SWeeTS72

Apr 6, 2019
    You are correct, however, an essential reason for diagnostics is that one would want to repair the circuit. And as i previously stated, I don't want to repair this circuit, jus want to identify these components so I can use them elsewhere.

14. jpanhalt

Expert

Jan 18, 2008
  15. SWeeTS72

Apr 6, 2019
    Ok, thank you. I'm gonna search around to c if I can find a... safer, way of testing them (Due to the 1st comment on that post). Thank you very much, Everyone was very helpful.