Need help identifying integrated circuit

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
ECU VDO 0215456832 , Board no.992655702
That is perhaps the most meaningless answer you could have given. Am I supposed to have a clue about some random manufacturer's naming and numbering scheme? Who made it and what is it for would help determine if there is a high probability that it uses a custom chip.

If ECU stands for "Engine Control Unit", then I can almost guarantee you will never find any information on that chip.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Not true @Papabravo, the manufacturer VDO and the part number is sufficient information for reference. Just because you do not recognize the ecu number or components involved does not mean someone else does not. I happen to repair ecu's everyday and know many masked chips. Unfortunately for TS I do not recognize this one at the moment but I may have it buried somewhere in my notes. Granted AAC is not the best forum for ecu repair but I do know there are a few guys here that do it.

A better question is why do you think this IC is bad, and from what you can tell, what is the function of it?

Last edited:

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
@gisbourne1967, give us the year, make and model of your vehicle (this should be a pre-requisite to an automotive post) and what control module and symptoms you are working on and we will see if we can identify it. And yes even though it is masked by an OEM, they can be found with some research.
Post a few more shots of the board so we can see more of what is going on and we will domour best to help you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Not true @Papabravo, the manufacturer VDO and the part number is sufficient information for reference. Just because you do not recognize the ecu number or components involved does not mean someone else does not. I happen to repair ecu's everyday and know many masked chips. Unfortunately for TS I do not recognize this one at the moment but I may have it buried somewhere in my notes. Granted AAC is not the best forum for ecu repair but I do know there are a few guys here that do it.

A better question is why do you think this IC is bad, and from what you can tell, what is the function of it?
You're right -- I don't have access to the same references that you do. Even so the TS could have made a more helpful post by saying that it was an ECU module from a Mercedes. Then I would have told him the same thing, that information on custom chips is very hard to come by.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Very true. The more information povided the better it is to help someone. New posters always treat information like its gold and can not stand to give it away for some reason .

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Very true. The more information provided, the better it is to help someone. New posters always treat information like its gold and can not stand to give it away for some reason .
An interesting observation. For 13 years I've been ripping posters for confidentiality requirements that are almost always a dead giveaway to people who have no idea what they are doing. I'm a big believer in Don Lancaster's approach that your idea needs to be published first and frequently to establish you as a bona fide expert. Nobody ever got rich off of a single idea. Ideas are not gold, "they are worth less than a dime a bale in ten bale lots." Many people have gotten rich from a flood of ideas which were turned into enterprises.

https://www.tinaja.com/glib/casagpat.pdf