Need help Identifying a Transistor

timescope

Joined Dec 14, 2011
I have labeled the test points on the attached image.

Also what would you like me to do with C21 and C22?
If possible, measure the voltage across them. The negative terminal of the capacitor is identified with a line along the side.

Also had a question about what "+15_I/O" means.
That is the +15v supply to the " IN /OUT" circuit that interfaces the microprocessor with the other circuits.

Timescope

Attachments

diebog

Joined Mar 23, 2013
Ok I retested TP16 on that pad and I got +10.9. I thought TP16 was the threw hole pin right next to it. No I understand those were there to label the pads and not those pins. Im going to have to remove the board to test C21 and C22. Which may be a little iffy to have everything plugged in and try to have board inverted to test the caps. Any ideas?

timescope

Joined Dec 14, 2011
No, the voltages are correct so there is no need to test the capacitor voltages.

It's time to move on. Did you try the reset procedure ?

diebog

Joined Mar 23, 2013
No I haven't tried the reset procedure as I figured sense it was working fine right when I got it back together that it had to be an issue on the board. Ill give the reset a try, it cant hurt. Im just pondering what may of caused the problem to need to reset it.

timescope

Joined Dec 14, 2011
We will have to find out. Personally I am always suspicious of software driven devices. A single spike is sufficient to corrupt the software. I have spent countless hours troubleshooting machines with apparent hardware problems that went away when the software was updated.

If the problem persists after the reset, we will troubleshoot the hardware.

It would be a good idea to make a note of your settings before doing the reset.

Timescope

Last edited:

diebog

Joined Mar 23, 2013
Which settings are you referring to? Every time power is removed, the motor controller goes back to its initial settings which I am guessing are a default set by Baldor. This motor was part of a prototype piece of equipment that a company apart from Baldor had setup for us. The motor cost was so high that the company went a different route, and it sat in our shop forever until I repurposed it to my lathe/mill. Back when we were using it we thought the display went bad and for some reason we ordered a new display/control panel, so I have two of these. I am still using the first one so I have a brand new one if it helps. I cant remember why we thought it went bad, but whatever the case was, it ended up being something else.

I know your not Baldor tech, but what settings may be lost in the reset?

timescope

Joined Dec 14, 2011
I thought that it saved some user settings but I have not read the manual. Then it's ok to reset. Good news that you have a new control board.
Let's see what resetting it will do.

ps. Did you check the Lithium battery ?

Last edited:

diebog

Joined Mar 23, 2013
I think that fixed it. But I think there were different settings then factory because now it takes like 5 times as long as it used to to speed up to previous rpm. But when stop is pressed, it seems to stop normal. Although the first few test runs I did with it, the motor would take just as long to slow down as it did to speed up. Basically when stop was pressed it would slowly slowly start scaling the frequency down and would ramp down way way way longer then normal. But after I unplugged power and tried it again, this seemed to go away and it slows down like it used to. Maybe around 1 to 2 seconds (normal) compared to 9 or 10 seconds as in the first test runs.

So I guess I got allot of reading to do in that manual to figure out how to change the ramp up settings etc. One thing I hate having to do which I have always had to do, is upon first power up I have to press the "jog" button once before starting the motor. If I dont, when the start button is pressed, the motor will attempt to start up but once the button is depressed, the motor cuts off. It will keep ramping up as long as button is held down. But after the "jog" button is pressed once, all it takes is pressing start once and it ramps up till previous rpm (even if unit was powered off). For some reason it saves this setting but not the "jog" setting. As long as power is on to motor, jog doesn't have to be pressed every time you want to press start.

Maybe its a setting I can change, ill have to read the manual I guess. Its always been this way and I wondered why they would have the user press job every time the control is powered up. Maybe its some stupid safety thing so one doesn't cut their hand off by hitting start or something.

diebog

Joined Mar 23, 2013
One thing I saw while browsing the manual was on page 15. There are connnections on the smaller pcb in the motor housing that have allot of empty connections and on this page it talks about using a potentiometer as a speed control. Do you think this is possible with this motor? Or is it a complete seperate control board to use it this way. Its just kind of a pain to sit there and hold up or down on the keypad until the desired rpm is reached. If I could use a simple rotary potentiometer to change speed quickly, that would be awesome.

diebog

Joined Mar 23, 2013
Congrats. Did you check the Lithium battery ?
No I didn't. I thought about that, but didn't know. The motor sat for a long time. Do these get charged by control board? Or do they only last for so long and need replacing? Its an odd looking battery. I'm assuming it would need to be ordered online. But if it was dead, wouldnt the previous rpm setting be lost when powered down?

timescope

Joined Dec 14, 2011
I'll look at the manual and let you know when I check in later (it's 5:07am here and I need to recharge).
Did you check the Lithium battery ?