Need help deciding between which old computer to buy ...

xtal_01

Joined May 1, 2016
I could not figure out where to post this ... hope I have the right spot.

So, my 10 year old computer died ... not surprising.

I need a new computer but just don't have the money for a new one (my wife is disabled and there is just little extra money).

I am not a gamer. I use it for business ... some autocad ... some multi-media.

I have a new 1 TB drive and a GT 630 2GB card for my dual monitors ( got them at a junk shop for $5 each) ... wish I could run 3 monitors (would like to use the HDMI for tv at the same time but my card only supports two monitors).

I have a budget of a about $300

I did a bunch of checking ... I think I can squeak into a i7 4770 (4th gen) 16 gig machine. I will put windows 10 64 on it.

From my search on ebay it looks like I can choose from a 1) HP Z230 2) Lenovo M93P 3) Dell Optiplex 9020

All are mini towers (need this for my full size video card). All have some usb 3.0 ports.

I was leaning toward the Lenovo just because it had more usb 3.0 ports (4 in back, 2 in front ... the others had 2 in back and 2 in front).

Two questions:

1) Is any one of these better than any other?

2) The video card I have says 350W min. I read one review of the Lenovo that said this was a problem with gaming video cards. The Lenovo has 280W ... the Optiplex 290W .... the HP 400W

Will the size of the power supply be a problem if I add my video card or ????

Thanks so very much!!!!!!

Mike

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
All 3 of the machines above are good in terms of quality.
If I was you, I would get the HP simply because it has the power supply you need. Most (not all and your mileage will vary) video cards will still work without the extra power plug (or when not getting the current needed) but it will not be running at full speed.

Have fun

xtal_01

Joined May 1, 2016
My cards are low powered ... I think ... as they don't use any external power.

I didn't know you could run a card without the external power plugged in. That was one of the reasons I choose this card as I knew it was going into an old computer.

Thanks .... Mike

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If most of the present machine has some fairly new and or sound peripherals, why not just buy a Asus motherboard to replace the old one, if this is the problem.
A while back TigerDirect were blowing them out for $25.00.
The only MoBo's I use are Asus, I have only replaced them in the past to keep up with technology, not because they failed.
Max.

xtal_01

Joined May 1, 2016
I am just afraid the entire computer is now old.

The power supply is 10 years old ... the optical drive .... everything except the hard drive and video board.

Plus, it would be great to get something a bit faster. For $300, I get an i7 (even if it is 4th generation) with 16 gig of memory ...will run anything I will be doing for the next few years.

Mike

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
TigerDirect has all sorts of refurbished desktop computers. Don't recall seeing any with i7, but i3/i5 are common.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
WAIT. Do not upgrade yet. Wait a few months. All of the new chips are a security risk!

You will see secure replacements pretty soon. Just wait. When this happens...the now "new chips" will become cheap. Don't buy one.

Wait for the new SECURE chips.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Walmart sells refurbs, too. Pretty cheap and you can order online and pick it up at the store. I'm not a particular fan of Walmart or Dell either, but they have others and a buck is a buck.

Typical one: Dell Optiplex 9010, i5-3570, 8MB, 1TB, Win-10 Pro for $270.

xtal_01

Joined May 1, 2016
Thanks so much for all the advice !!!!!!!!!!!

I will do a bit more searching and see what I come up with. A friend to me to hold off for a day to two ...he has a friend who somehow deals with off lease units from a local college.

I will see what he comes up with ...

Thanks .... Mike