Need heaters for the overload protection on this contactor. Are they available for this model?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The old style with heaters in them are a bit passe now, if you cannot locate a Furnas dealer that has them, you could look at fitting one of the later stand-alone electronic versions.
Telemecanique etc.
Or obtain a later style Definite Purpose contactor.
Max.

sbennett1298

Joined Aug 20, 2019
The old style with heaters in them are a bit passe now, if you cannot locate a Furnas dealer that has them, you could look at fitting one of the later stand-alone electronic versions.
Telemecanique etc.
Or obtain a later style Definite Purpose contactor.
Max.
Yes this is an old machine. 1950s or 1960s I'm guessing. It's a 10HP J&L turret lathe. The reason I need to find heaters is that it was originally operated on 440V 3Phase. The new owner wants to change it over to 220V 3phase. The motor will draw more current at the lower voltage so I'm guessing the heaters will need to be changed to accommodate the higher current. Thanks for your suggestion. -Steve

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
Time to replace the complete contactor and overload with a modern version. Will probably be smaller too.
I take it that the motor connections are changed to make it operate at the lower voltage. Star to delta?
Current will increase. Should be stated on the motor plate.

sbennett1298

Joined Aug 20, 2019
Time to replace the complete contactor and overload with a modern version. Will probably be smaller too.
I take it that the motor connections are changed to make it operate at the lower voltage. Star to delta?
Current will increase. Should be stated on the motor plate.
Yes there are jumpers on the motor you change to drop the voltage. I am guessing you are correct Wye to Delta. And yes the plate on the motor says the lower voltage draws more current. -Steve