Need a Samsung MCU datasheet or information.

Krisby

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Hello,

I've looked and looked, but I can not find a datasheet or any other information about the Samsung Microcontroller IC, model number: S3F84DBXZZQXRB
It is also written as: S3F84DBXZZ-QXRB and is of a TQFP-100 form factor. This is the CPU in my Protek 506 DMM, which is more than 20 years old. The IC is available for sale, but the only links to datasheets are to another type of IC.

I may be needing one for repairing my DMM, but I need to know more about it. Will it need to be programmed to work with my DMM?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers...........

Krisby

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Yes, I've tried that link, it just sends me to alldatasheet.com, where the link to a datasheet is for a different model (80 pin, not 100).

No, I do not have a copy of the code. Where would I get such a copy?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Without the code you will be lost.
You will not find the code, as it is likely intelectual proporty of Protek.

Bertus

Krisby

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Hello Bertus:

Without the code you will be lost.
You will not find the code, as it is likely intelectual proporty of Protek.
That is most likely correct... but, the Samsung chip surely is being sold with the idea that people will write a code to the chip, so that it will perform as per their needs. I suppose that information is within the datasheet, if only I can get it.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hello Bertus:

That is most likely correct... but, the Samsung chip surely is being sold with the idea that people will write a code to the chip, so that it will perform as per their needs. I suppose that information is within the datasheet, if only I can get it.
Your reasoning fails in this: "their needs" are materialized in code that you do not have. Independently if it is legal or not, you could get it if able to read it in that micro; otherwise you seem out of luck here.

Krisby

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Your reasoning fails in this: "their needs" are materialized in code that you do not have. Independently if it is legal or not, you could get it if able to read it in that micro; otherwise you seem out of luck here.
I don't know if my "reasoning fails" ....... blank microcontrollers are sold in vast numbers; presumably people who buy them write their own program codes to enable the chip to do whatever they want or need it to do. The micro on the Arduino board being an example, so I presume that is the case with the subject Samsung MCU...... ?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Microcontrollers from that era might not be blank and field programmable. In large quantities it might have been economical to have a mask programmed ROM in which case there would be no blank parts available and no way to program one even if it existed. Is the 80 pin part described in the datasheet blank and programmable?

Krisby

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Microcontrollers from that era might not be blank and field programmable. In large quantities it might have been economical to have a mask programmed ROM in which case there would be no blank parts available and no way to program one even if it existed. Is the 80 pin part described in the datasheet blank and programmable?
Papabravo: That may be the case where a company like Protek orders a number of microcontrollers from Samsung, having given them the specific program to be installed. Otherwise, who would buy these microcontrollers that are for sale, if they are indeed "mask programmed ROM"? Unless, you knew what it had been programmed with, and that is what you want.

I had a look at the "datasheet" that is linked to the S3F84DBXZZ-QXRB MCU, but it is no "datasheet", rather it is a 380 page "User's Manual". The Preface says:

"The S3C84BB/F884BB microcontroller's User's Manual is designed for application designers and programmers who are using the S3C84BB/84BB for microcontroller development."

So, yes the 80 pin microcontroller is programmable. So, what I really need is a "User's Manual" for the S3F84DBXZZ-QXRB, unless the abovementioned manual is supposed to include the subject micro.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Papabravo: That may be the case where a company like Protek orders a number of microcontrollers from Samsung, having given them the specific program to be installed. Otherwise, who would buy these microcontrollers that are for sale, if they are indeed "mask programmed ROM"? Unless, you knew what it had been programmed with, and that is what you want.

I had a look at the "datasheet" that is linked to the S3F84DBXZZ-QXRB MCU, but it is no "datasheet", rather it is a 380 page "User's Manual". The Preface says:

"The S3C84BB/F884BB microcontroller's User's Manual is designed for application designers and programmers who are using the S3C84BB/84BB for microcontroller development."

So, yes the 80 pin microcontroller is programmable. So, what I really need is a "User's Manual" for the S3F84DBXZZ-QXRB, unless the abovementioned manual is supposed to include the subject micro.
People sell all kinds of things that are not what they appear to be without so much as the slightest care. It certainly would worry me that you can't find a proper datasheet. I could imageine several reasons why a manufacturer might do that -- none of them good for your purposes.