Need a problem book for DC/AC circuits

NoSkill

Joined Jan 18, 2007
Hi

I am in desperate need of a reasource preferably a book that contains loads of DC/AC and phasers problems. I order for me to become really good at Circuits, I need to solve a lot of problems. I am in mechatronics engineering and would like to get a head start.

Price is not really a concern as long as the book is excellent and has Alot of the above mentioned problems, solutions would also be nice even if it is a completely separate book.

What I am learning from right now has alot of theory but is very dry when it comes to problems to be solved and i need a good few hundread to keep me sharp.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank you

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Here is one of the books in the Schaum's Outline Series that covers basic circuit analysis. It is well worth looking into as a possible source of the problems. It provides worked examples as well as additional problems for you to solve. The price is fairly reasonable also.

hgmjr

NoSkill

Joined Jan 18, 2007
thank you for the suggestion, i will drop by the bookstore today and take a look at it, are there any other books that maybe i should be looking into related to DC/AC and phasers, in therms of problems?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi NoSkill,

Can I suggest looking at our sister project the Socratic Project (hopefully soon to be integrated into AAC). Scroll down to the different sections and see if it has what you require. You should be able to reference the AAC on-line e-book to help you should come unstuck.

Dave

NoSkill

Joined Jan 18, 2007
the main reason why i get stuck when it comes to electric circuits, is because i've studied material science more specifically electric properties of materials. As such i try to think in terms of material science and actually visualize everything at the atomic level, this makes solving even simple questions relativley difficult, since i "overthink" the situation. As such i try to solve as many questions as i can so it can become almost second nature. A book that relates material science with circuits would be ideal, but i have given up trying to look for it since i've been searching for a while. For example what actually happens in a capacitor or inductor at the subatomic level. These simple questions make it hard for me to solve simple circuits since i do not know exactly how things work.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Understanding electronics on the atomic level is still important, however you will find that you need to decipher when it is best to take that approach and when to abstract away from the atomic interactions and take a more high-level approach (this is certainly the predominant approach in the realm of electronics). In terms of finding a text that completely bridges the gap between material science and electronics would be a difficult task since the level of detail would be highly complex. Ultimately you need to retrain your mind to think like an electronic engineer rather than a material scientist, but don't loose sight of what you have already learnt on the material side of things.

Dave

chesart1

Joined Jan 23, 2006
I agree that Schaum's Outline Series is excellent.

I don't know how far you progressed, but I advise you to complement your theory knowledge with experience gained from actually building and debugging circuits. Even the simple voltage divider could be implemented in a circuit to show the theory in action.

This might help with regard to the level at which you understand the theory.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I don't know how far you progressed, but I advise you to complement your theory knowledge with experience gained from actually building and debugging circuits. Even the simple voltage divider could be implemented in a circuit to show the theory in action.
Its a good suggestion. You could look at Volume VI for some examples of practical experiments you could undertake to embellish you knowledge.

Dave