Need a logic gate chip number

Mohamad Tarabah

Joined Jul 4, 2016
Hi everyone,
I'm learning the basics of logic gates, and I want to buy some for getting started. The problem is I am a hobbyist and I don't know serial numbers. So now I need a number for a popular AND chip and a popular OR gate. Ex: A popular transistor is the 2n222 and bc327 and bc337 ( I want something popular because I buy stuff from a certain shop and I can't find everything there.)
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Some popular 2-input gates are:

Code:
           AND          OR         NAND         NOR
CMOS       4081       4071        4011        4001
TTL  LS    74LS08     74LS32      74LS00      74LS02
TTL  HC    74HC08     74HC32      74HC00      74HC02
Allen

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You might want to add to your logic list an inverter and an XOR device.

For XOR: CD4070 (CMOS)
For inverter: CD4069 (CMOS, not Schmitt) and CD40106 (CMOS, Schmitt)

For just beginning, you probably don't need bother versions of inverter. Either one will do. There are TTL versions for each logic type.

John

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
For building simple practical circuits I would also suggest the versatile CD4093 (quad dual-input Schmitt NAND gate) and the CD4017 (10-output decimal counter).

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
For building simple practical circuits I would also suggest the versatile CD4093 (quad dual-input Schmitt NAND gate) and the CD4017 (10-output decimal counter).
The nice thing about NAND gates, they can be used to mimic other gate types - just wire both inputs together of the CD4093 and it works just like the CD40106 inverter (schmitt input).

For a hobbyist, the schmitt trigger inputs are more valuable because they become an easy replacement for a 555 timer if you need a square wave - and you get three on a single chip (assuming you use one inverter for the astable multivibrator and one as an output buffer.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to the wonderful world of digital electronics.
So you want the serial number of a popular AND gate.
If only life was so simple.

First of all, you need to know that there are two major technologies. There are others which we do not need to mention here.

The two types of transistor gate technologies are:

1) Bipolar junction transistor (BJT), commonly referred to as transistor-transistor-logic (TTL) .
2) Metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET), commonly referred to as complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS).

1) TTL gates commonly have a serial number in the 7400 series. To complicate matters, there is about a dozen different 7400 families to choose from. For example, the popular AND gate is available as:
7408, 74LS08, 74ALS08 and many others.

You can find a list or 7400 series gates here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_7400_series_integrated_circuits

2) In the CMOS variety, life is just as complicated.
Popular CMOS logic gates have serial numbers in the 4000 series. A popular AND gate is 4081.
Note that different manufacturers will name their devices differently, e.g. MC14081

You can find a list of 4000 series CMOS gates here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_4000_series_integrated_circuits

Things get even more complicated.

CMOS gates are available in the 7400 number series.
For example, a Quad 2-input AND gate is available as 74C08, 74HC08, 74HCT08.

What are the differences between all these choices of a simple AND gate?
The answer is - lots. You have to know the technologies, read the data sheets and know your applications.
(For this discussion, we do not get into the different package styles. We will assume that you will want to buy chips in the popular dual-inline-package (DIP) for through-hole mounting).

In most applications you cannot mix series.

The first notable difference is operating voltage. 4000 series have the widest operating voltage range, 3V to 18V. If you wish to operate your circuit from a common 9V battery, choose the 4000 series CMOS gate.

Other notable differences are speed and power consumption. For a good compromise, choose gates from the 74HC series. The part number for a Quad 2-input AND gate is 74HC08N. The operating voltage of this IC is 2V to 6V.

You can find a shorter list here:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/components-selection-guide.65137/#post-531464

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I generally go to a Mosfet first before a bipolar type now, if possible.
This is a cheap very handy one for small currents and replaces bipolar Darlingtons.
App note below.
Max.

Attachments

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Of course, a direct hands-on approach is always a very valuable learning technique. But may I suggest you download and play with a logic gate simulator too? It might save you some time (and a little money), plus allow you to experiment with much more complex logic arrangements.

Digital Works is an excellent option for your consideration.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
For simple, low-speed (<1MHz) hobby use I would go with the 4000 series CMOS devices, if you can get them.
They work over a relatively large supply voltage range, require very little power (essentially zero when static), and are fairly robust.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
But may I suggest you download and play with a logic gate simulator too? It might save you some time (and a little money), plus allow you to experiment with much more complex logic arrangements.
Also, cleaning up and sorting all of the jumper wires and putting away all of the resistors, capacitors and other components is also a lot easier with simulation than with a breadboard.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I generally go to a Mosfet first before a bipolar type now, if possible.
This is a cheap very handy one for small currents and replaces bipolar Darlingtons.
App note below.
Max.
Did you find this app note in an archeological dig?

upload_2016-8-8_12-0-50.png

Also, after 40 years 30 years, the prices have changed a bit...
(current prices at Digikey for Fairchild part)...

upload_2016-8-8_12-1-40.png

Last edited:

Mohamad Tarabah

Joined Jul 4, 2016
Thank you all for your answers ! It was really helpful
So I understand a MOSFET or a BJT is an AND gate , and a chip that contains 4 AND gates is a chip that contains 4 BJTs or MOSFETs ?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you have a quantity of TTL/CMOS outputs that you need to transition to several higher voltage, higher current loads, the 2n7000 is useful for one or a few, if any number more that a couple you could consider the ULN2803 which includes BEMF diodes for inductive loads.
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have several 2N7000's in my quiver. The 2N7002 is advertised as "logic level" and is a little improved for low Vgs, but otherwise it is very similar. I also have them.

John

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thank you all for your answers ! It was really helpful
So I understand a MOSFET or a BJT is an AND gate , and a chip that contains 4 AND gates is a chip that contains 4 BJTs or MOSFETs ?
No. Mosfets and BJT's are both transistors, but they're of different types of technologies. And they're used to make different types of chips.

Here's an AND gate built using ordinary NPN transistors:
imgre01.png

And here's an AND gate built using FETs

imgres.png
See how the symbols are different?