National Semiconductor gone

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I wonder how many of us on AAC knew that National Semiconductor has been acquired by Texas Instruments as of September 23, 2011. I didn't know this but found it strange that when I was checking up data sheets for the devices for the Components Selection Guide, data sheets were popping up with one or the other logo. Now you know.

Blofeld

Joined Feb 21, 2010
...I didn't know this but found it strange that when I was checking up data sheets for the devices for the Components Selection Guide, data sheets were popping up with one or the other logo...
This was exactly the way that I discovered it too. First I thought they had messed something up with the pdf file. Instead of wasting the first page that is essentially blank (except for the TI logo), TI could at least have explained something like "We are proud to announce that National is now part of TI..."

I think it is rather sad. There are not so many big analog semiconductor companies, and I think it would be better to have some diversity of corporate cultures. If this continues, then one day a bad management decision might not only effect the future of one company, but the future of analog electronics.

I hope that Linear Technology will stay strong and independent. They are not so big but they have some interesting ICs.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think it would be better to have some diversity of corporate cultures. If this continues, then one day a bad management decision might not only effect the future of one company
This can be pretty much said for almost any industry. Just look at what has happened to the banking and airline industry.

What is really sad is what has happened to the electronics industry in general in this country. We have let far too much technology to go outside the country IMHO.