NAND gates..

Joined Apr 4, 2005
Alright, now I'm going to assume this is a simple question. I really have next to no knowledge in Logic Gates, and little in electronics, but I do know a little bit just from general interest in nearly everything.

My friend presented me with a question in order to challege me: How many AND operations can be produced from a NAND gate.

Now, I'm assuming an AND operation is the opposite of a NAND(Not and) operation. So if the output of the NAND gate was 1, then it would output a NAND operation? So then a NAND gate can output(produce) 3 AND operations, because you can get three 0 outputs?

I may be TOTALLY off base, and if I am feel free to correct me. I wanna double check my information and make sure I'm not totally off, because I hate being mis-informed.

Thanks a lot!

I'd like to mention that the question given to me was false. She didn't exactally...type it out right.

She actually stated it wrong and I got very confused, which made my limited knowledge of Logic Gated get muddled up.(Assuming that her question was right because she's in a course learning this crap.)

I assumed that whenever a gate returned a false output (0's) it would return the opposite operation as the GATE is.(NAND gate would return and.) Of course I was wrong, it seems.

She actually wanted to know how many NAND gates it would take to make an AND operation. Which is two NAND gates?

Yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Lol.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

That's a little like asking how many ducks does it take to make a chicken. If you invert the output of your NAND gate, then it becomes the equivalent of an AND operation. You can use another NAND gate, or a gate with an invert function. You might even be able to set up a J-K flip-flop to invert the output of the gate. It's really simpler to just use an AND gate to begin with.