My latest sophisticated invention

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

Ok, so what are we looking at here? Well, a strantor original of course! The yellow object may be too high tech looking to recognize at first, but it is in fact a used 5gal oil bucket, with the side cut out. It's no basement tesla coil with 4ft arc, but it is responsible for the creation of a 200,000$ experimental cable. At work they (engineers) were trying to make newer, better cable using a new type of super secret polymer formula but it kept blistering as soon as it came out of the extruder in the first 2 feet before it hits cooling water. They couldn't cool it off fast enough. At one point they had 4 guys standing there trying to hit it with water hoses as it came out. I whipped this up to immerse the cable in water the instant it comes out of the extruder. voila! out of a bucket, a new cable is born.

Attachments

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I always feel a bit sad inside when a high-tech machine is fixed with a VERY low-tech solution. It's like we couldn't find anything more stylish.

But what can I say, if it works...

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
You might want to think about clearing your posts with an officer of your company -- you might be exposing IP they don't want exposed. Thus, for example, your cooling method is now in the public domain and could frustrate a patent application somebody might want to make down the road, as the method is now no longer patentable.

This comes about because employees often don't know any better and, most importantly, management doesn't train the employees on proper IP management.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It will be a sad day when a patent gets granted for using half a bucket of water to cool something.
Although stranger things have probably happened.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The other issue is propriety methods. Most companies would freak over something like that.

But you did good.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
For those worried about IP and proprietary methods, I suppose you are technically right, but the way we do things here is no big secret; we do it the same way all the the wire & cable manufacturers do it (well, aside from the bucket now I guess). There are routine tours through the plant where prospective interns, investors, and i guess anybody who wants to go, can walk around and see how we do it. No big secret in the process, just the materials, and if you are worried about me posting up the molecular compound of the super secret polymer, don't, I'm not even privy to such information.

and yes, the engineers have already found a more expensive way to do it; they are getting the same thing made right now out of tig welded stainless. The bucket was only for proof of concept.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I heard some one say they are better off not having a patent.
They don't have to disclose proprietary secrets.I think you would be
off better doing disc with a copywrite of the materials and know
how. What your opinion. Also a book outlining your project,without
all the details.Coke has been around a long time,has the secret been
diclosed.

Two problems solved and the manufacture waited the twenty years.
Both being simple metal pieces,adding more steel to the back step
of a semi-trailer,that keep people from losing there head when they
rear end tractor trailer. The other a metal plate to prevent clothes to
being caught in an esulator,spelled wrong.

Last edited: