My Latest PaintCAD Tool

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A lot of people have seen this one...

and its brother...

I have a prototype board my local shop (Tanner's) has that I like, so I've made a new PaintCAD tool for it.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yep, though it doesn't matter in the long run. Any drawing program, such as GIMP, that can cut and paste can use them.

There are still a couple of transistor cases I need to include.

Now if Paint only had a 1:1 output printing capability for inches instead of the 1.00 : 0.96

BG Micro has this part (I'll have to look up the PN), and there is a bigger version of this board if anyone is interested. My old job used a much higher quality version of this layout (double sided, double sided gold plated PC board contacts along one side), which got me into the basic design.

This is what I'm going to use for my PC Oscope project, which is why I made it. Once made it's in the toolbox. Back to the grind.

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The only reason I ask, is that I can barely draw a block diagram in MS Paint - I'm useless with it! I'm just amazed at how good the drawings are from a package that is so basic, given my own deficiencies in this regard. If it doesn't drag and drop, I'm lost!

Mind you, MS Paint is not to be under estimated: http://youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I am envious of people who can truely draw. When I was in school I like to draw things, luner landers, machines, whatnot, and it shows. Drawing people is a skill that is pretty much beyond me.

There is a similar youtube for cars. Gotta love the animation.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I've made a couple of changes to both prints. I've added an extremely small color table under the resistor, as well as off color stripes on the resistors for using the paint funtions to color them with the resistor color code. I've also added cathode marking to the diodes on end, as well as color codes to the resistors on end. Not very legible, but it is definately better than nothing.

I'm almost finished with the PC Oscope buffer, when I have it finished I'll post it in another thread. This will allow folks who are interested a chance to see what a finished drawing might look like. It will be in The Projects Collection.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The only reason I ask, is that I can barely draw a block diagram in MS Paint - I'm useless with it! I'm just amazed at how good the drawings are from a package that is so basic, given my own deficiencies in this regard. If it doesn't drag and drop, I'm lost!
I'm on your wavelength, Dave. Just about any time I try to do something with MS Paint, it comes out looking like a 5-year-old did it. :rolleyes: (Sorry, you 5-year-olds - I really didn't mean to insult you.)

Forget about doing anything to scale.

I used to have CorelDraw 8 installed until my computer crashed, and I discovered that my spouse had thrown the entire original Corel suite, complete with installation disks, in the trash. I was not pleased. :p I'd spent a good bit of time becoming reasonably proficient in it. Yes, it's vector graphics, but that's more my speed. She's oil on canvas.
Mind you, MS Paint is not to be under estimated: http://youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU
Remarkable video. I'm sending it to my other half; she has a Masters in Fine Arts, but is not very computer savvy.