My external hard disk drive only works when I hit it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The drive usually has a 5V current requirement On it. if not, the model number can provide the datasheet that does. If it's 0.5 A or less, your probbaly OK. If it's > 0.5 A you need one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/42680050?...78466816&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=99941442776&veh=sem cables and 2 USB ports.

Many enclosures have an external power port. You can use that too.

Until we know the current requirement....

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The drive usually has a 5V current requirement On it. if not, the model number can provide the datasheet that does. If it's 0.5 A or less, your probbaly OK. If it's > 0.5 A you need one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/42680050?...78466816&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=99941442776&veh=sem cables and 2 USB ports.

Many enclosures have an external power port. You can use that too.

Until we know the current requirement....
What does that have to do with the OP's question?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
The thread took a slight detour. OP is using a laptop drive in an external enclosure. For some reason, someone said it needed external power if it wasn't a solid state drive.
Yeah he must have misunderstood or misread or just doesn't know cause I have my Ultra passport sitting next to me getting a disk scan ..

I actually said, you CAN supply power externally to some drive enclosures.

Most drives have a 5V requirement > 0.5A, so therefore
:
1. Use external enclosure power
2. Use a special USB Y cable that parallels the 0.5A of 2 ports to get 1 A.

It's LIKELY 0.5A is not sufficient to power the drive especially at start-up. The 5V requirement is usually on the actual drive.

Any drive that has been dropped should be replaced.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I actually said, you CAN supply power externally to some drive enclosures.

Most drives have a 5V requirement > 0.5A, so therefore
:
1. Use external enclosure power
2. Use a special USB Y cable that parallels the 0.5A of 2 ports to get 1 A.

It's LIKELY 0.5A is not sufficient to power the drive especially at start-up. The 5V requirement is usually on the actual drive.

Any drive that has been dropped should be replaced.
My WD Ultra passport requires only 1 usb to work and my buddy Seagate portable drive need 2 usb to work .. It really depends on the portable drive but it's more of a 50/50 shot .. What he is describing is the dreaded Hard drive click which means the drive is take a crap... Sometimes you can use a Hard drive repair program to fix it but it's not guaranteed or even how long the drive will last.

If it isn't a solid state drive IT NEEDS EXTERNAL POWER.
You must understand that SSD have a higher fail rate compered to standard disk drives hence why they are still made and used ..

OP said drive was clicking. There are no moving parts in a USB case or cable.
Indeed, though I expect an underpowered drive may be noisy due to 'reload cycling' secondary to insufficient starting torque -- it is suggestive that it worked (i.e. started uneventfully) prior to reapplication:confused:....

Dropping is a reason to replace
IIRC, the OP stated that he has abused this drive and others, but continues to use them.
À la Timex - having taken a lickin' it keeps on clickin'? Ooooo-Kay!?:confused::eek::D

@rambomhtri --- Please don't get me wrong! - It is not my intent to ridicule - but, rather, to underscore the fact that abused and otherwise suspect mass storage devices should, as a mater of policy, be replaced forthwith - even where 'correct operation' seems manifest or 'restored' -- The 'out of sight out of mind' quirk of human nature virtually guarantees that asymptomatic (albeit high failure risk) devices soon garner undeserved trust...

Very best regards
HP:)

Here..I think.
I duuno, some film maybe.
FWIW IMO both @Aleph(0) and her avatar look a bit like TV personality Barbara Eden (qv) --- Whom, like Aleph, was/is a highly intelligent person best known for her portrayal of an industrial-strength idiot - but then Ms. Eden's character spent waaay too much time in a bottle (your ears ringing Aleph?:D:D:D)

TTFN
HP:)

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
This is getting interesting... I've just scanned it with the official tool for my Hitachi hard disk drive, WinDFT, and the quick scan said it was healthy, no errors. I'm doing the extended scanner now.

The HDD was alright, I don't think it just got broken itself...
*COPY* (not move) a load of files to about 3/4 fill the drive and then do a defrag.

Mine passed every diagnostic test - until I put files on it.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
This is getting interesting... I've just scanned it with the official tool for my Hitachi hard disk drive, WinDFT, and the quick scan said it was healthy, no errors. I'm doing the extended scanner now.

The HDD was alright, I don't think it just got broken itself...
He seems hellbent on using this drive despite all the advice to the contrary... I say let him do it.. He comes here for advice and keeps ignoring it.. He's not going to listen to anyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.