My dehumidifier won't work anymore....

herbeapuce

Joined May 23, 2013
Hi. last fall when I put it away it was working fine. nothing to complain. this week I pulled it out and turned it on. Only the fan is working . the compressor is not working. By looking at this diagram, that I do not understand one thing about , can a good soul tell if there would be some sort of reset, or maybe an easy fix. I can't read electronic but I'm handy and I have a good meter.
please let me know how you would go about this .
thanks
stef.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
There's an overload protection on the compressor which looks like a thermal fuse and there is the water level switch either of which could disable the compressor.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is the compressor running?
Is the compressor hot to touch?
Try unplugging the unit and let it rest for half-hour before trying again.

Wait for @#12 to come by.

herbeapuce

Joined May 23, 2013
Hi. no the compressor is not working. I don't know if it's hot to the touch...I haven't opened the unit.
I will wait for this person @#12,
I see the overload protection on the diagram. I just don't know what it looks like in real ...
the water overload switch is being read by he display panel. if I push it , the "bucket full" light will light

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The first thing you must do is measure voltage from RY1, pin 4 to P7 (or anywhere equal to those places where it is convenient to get a probe against a connector) to see if the compressor is being told to come on. That starts a, "divide and conquer" process. If 120 VAC = yes, we dig into the compressor circuit. If 120 VAC = no, we go poking around in the controls to see why it thinks it shouldn't start the compressor.

By the way, it seems like P7 would be, "neutral" which is American for zero volts. Check with an ohm meter for a hard short from P7 to the larger pin on the power cord, just because knowing that will make the rest of this more convenient.

ps, while you're in there, watch for simple things and small things. Is the air intake completely wadded up with dog hair? Does the compressor make a little, "bump" start (then fail to run) when you turn the controls on? Is the "full" switch knocked off the water pan? More than half these things can be narrowed down just by looking and knowing what to look for.

Is this one equipped with a water pump for automatic emptying?
Do you have any little jumper wires with an alligator clip on each end?

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just saw the, "bucket full" words. It thinks the bucket is full, and that directs us to the "full" switch on the water bucket. Stop with the voltage measurements and see if the switch is knocked loose. Fumble with it and see if you can feel it "click".

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I just saw the, "bucket full" words. It thinks the bucket is full, and that directs us to the "full" switch on the water bucket. Stop with the voltage measurements and see if the switch is knocked loose. Fumble with it and see if you can feel it "click".
I think TS is saying "bucket full" switch is working, i.e. light comes on after activating switch manually.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think TS is saying "bucket full" switch is working, i.e. light comes on after activating switch manually.
Yes, it is not clear to me. I don't know whether the machine just completed a proper self-check or it's complaining that the bucket is full.:(

herbeapuce

Joined May 23, 2013
OK thank you much for your help.
I will try digging inside the beast and investigate as much as I can...

this model does not have a pump for emptying it. (it could be done by gravity ).
I had alligator clips at one time.... I will try to find them

the air intake is clean

regarding the compressor. It seems the compressor is attempting to start. when I press ON, I can hear the typical vibration sound of a compressor. but the sound is weak ( I remember this unit was loud when it was working) and it then disappears to my ears

the bucket full light only goes on if I manually press the plastic part inside the machine, like it is meant to be. if I turn off the machine . the light won't come on anymore. it seems to be working fine.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The, "tries to start" leads to the dual capacitor on the compressor. Or...the run winding is bad. It tries to start and never comes up to speed, then it loses power due to its internal overload safety switch.

Get in there and start measuring. Maybe you get lucky and find corroded connection on the run connector of the compressor.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Double check that the compressor tries to start. That's really critical because it eliminates the humidistat, any thermal overload fuses and so on and turns focus on what #12 has detailed. But I know from experience it can be hard to tell without laying a hand on it.