My Dead UPS (Uninterruptible power supply) (1200VA-720W)

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
i didnt put the transformer On, only the bateries, with a very swift touch contact. Then it blue flamed Near the big condenser. But i get it, i will not power it .

The UPS you find on ebay its output is for americans 120V, I need 220V output. Can be converted somehow that 120V into 220V?

Last edited:

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Update : Input power from transformer on the board:
~220V directly on board. Very weird. No secondary input as I imagined.
(I checked with both alternative and continuum V dial on my multimeter for that multiwired plug) 0 all the way.

Attachments

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
How to measure an electrolytic condenser? (here is one of my basic lack of knowledge)
All that I know is this: if the ohmMetter shows that is charging and then discharging and then charging again and so on, that means the condenser is Ok. Is there something else how to test the integrity of a condenser?
Teach me and i will do it.
Mine, is charging a lot (on ohmMeter). 1500uF @35V
I have a microMeter too on my Multimeter, but the maximum scale is 20uF.

How to measure an electrolytic condenser? (here is one of my basic lack of knowledge)
All that I know is this: if the ohmMetter shows that is charging and then discharging and then charging again and so on, that means the condenser is Ok. Is there something else how to test the integrity of a condenser?
Teach me and i will do it.
Mine, is charging a lot (on ohmMeter). 1500uF @35V
I have a microMeter too on my Multimeter, but the maximum scale is 20uF.
I would look for a replacement on ebay, as a lot of people bin them when the batteries die, from reading all the posts so far, it is probable that the push/pull drivers for the transformer may be damaged. Personally having seen the damage the lead acid battery's can make when they let go, though being over charged shorted etc, the cost of a new one will be cheap.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
you are referring to a scrap UPS board ? that is another good idea too.
I am in doubt that can be found on ebay. But who knows. I would try local announcements for parts. But UPS is a very rare thing to came across even on those announcements. It's a good idea that you have. I like it.
I was following your rationament - for getting the values from what i already have left and functioning. To order a new board through you or from you. I measured the transformer outputs toward the board. It seems 220~V is directly on board. Very weird that i get 0V on all those wires that appear to come from its secondary. I posted the image too. I also tested the capacitor and it appear fine, though a lot of smoke come from it's area. Its upside down and i cant clearly see what was the smoking (or lightning) component(s) there. I only perceive the area.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
i didnt put the transformer On, only the bateries, with a very swift touch contact. Then it blue flamed Near the big condenser. But i get it, i will not power it .

The UPS you find on ebay its output is for americans 120V, I need 220V output. Can be converted somehow that 120V into 220V?
Maybe and maybe not. I would think they would mention this featured. I would not bet on it being convertable.

Why not ask the seller?

Sorry that's not a simple task, and will cost a lot more than a new unit. When running from the batterys it's the large transistors that switch the 24V at 50Hz to be stepped up by the transformer.

The 220V on the board could just be the feedback for the control section.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
="Why not ask the seller?
Thank you - i did just that right now - i asked him.
I also searched on ebay for [CyberPower 10-Outlet 1100VA] and the next price for the same product jumped to $189.00 - the difference it is from USA and the cheap one is from hong kong. I hope the cheap one is functional (possibly stolen? - i hope so).

Last edited by a moderator:

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
This is my osciloscope. It's made in 1980 something. Cathodic tube! I never use it. It was a school lab osciloscope until they throw them away and i was inspired to take one home. Is fully functional. I was thinking to show it to you since you mentioned about frequencies. If you still need those frequencies, i can use my trusty osciloscope here.

Attachments

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Just for the exercise, can you make a very basic (but functional) electronic scheme of an UPS?
Also, including the components that I already have - the 2 acumulators and the transformer. No need (yet) of the screen or leds or alarms.
Before I buy my UPS i watched this youtube video
I thought to make an UPS by myself but I give up. :)