Multiplier/divider circuit

riyaangg

Joined Feb 16, 2024
I have been working on a four bit by four bit multiplier/divider circuit (it's actually three bit point 1 bit by three bit point 1 bit multiplier/divider circuit). I have used ICs from the 74LS series, namely: 7400, 7408, 7485, 7486, 74283 and 74147. The multiplier part works just fine, but the divider part kept on flickering. For example if I divide 0000 by 0001 it sometimes gives 0088 and sometimes 0041. I felt that there was something wrong with the decimal part of the division perhaps? But I couldn't figure it out. I used two 2A, 5V DC connected in parallel to power the circuit. How do I troubleshoot this? I've attached the actual connection in the pictures. I would want to attach the logisim file as well but .circ files were not allowed. I'd send it to anyone who's interested. Thanks

Attachments

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Oh? The problem is fixed? I must have missed that.
Yes, you did miss that with your original answer. ;)

THE problem? Who knows if it was THE problem.

So, well, yes, at least one problem with be fixed from just looking at his pictures. I've seen this many times before with flaky circuits that were connected perfectly and logically but were intermittent in actual operation on a perf or breadboard.

It's a classic beginner circuit builder error.

Last edited:

riyaangg

Joined Feb 16, 2024

So, well, yes, at least one problem with be fixed from just looking at his pictures. I've seen this many times before with flaky circuits that were connected perfectly and logically but were intermittent in actual operation on a perf or breadboard.

Some IC's are not reliable in breadboards because the legs are not long and not as wide as other components that have previously "stretched" the contacts. Try using DIP Sockets, in the Breadboard, with round legs. eg Digikey dip socket
Thank you, I will do that.

riyaangg

Joined Feb 16, 2024

Yes you're right, I think that this is just because I'm new to the project. But I'll look into it, see if the mistake really was just the wiring, but thanks guys, the forum was really helpful

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013

Yes, I saw your answer. I just doubt that it is the cause of the problem.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes, I saw your answer. I just doubt that it is the cause of the problem.
I'm not a mind or remote reader over the internet but I can tell a lot of effort and planning (unlike a lot of help wanted requests we see here) has been put into making this so I gave it a look and noticed something I've seen many times before that's caused problems in the past.

I think your original answer was not useful at all for any solutions to potential problems.

Last edited: