Multiplexing 16 strain gauges with only one Wheatstone bridge and one IA

SteveRS

Joined Feb 5, 2021
Also one could just have a basic MCU board with a simple display, the board would cycle the multiplexer and display each of the 16 voltages on the display, perhaps updating them at like 10Hz or whatever. The board's A/D converter would monitor the output from the bridge...
I will write a code on the computer side to acquire the data per serial port and organise that with an Arduino. That was my plan
Thanks,

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The MUX on-resistance will need to be much less than the strain gauge resistance, to minimize error.
What is the gauge resistance?

You may have to use 16 bridges and just multiplex the input to the IA, which is a very high impedance.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Ok, sorry about the misinterpretation of "IA" just ignore the suggestions regarding the load drivers or relays.

Just use the triangle symbol, as not to confuse us old fogies. :)

SteveRS

Joined Feb 5, 2021
The MUX on-resistance will need to be much less than the strain gauge resistance, to minimize error.
What is the gauge resistance?

You may have to use 16 bridges and just multiplex the input to the IA, which is a very high impedance.
The gauges have a resistance of 120 Ohm. I'm looking for a way to not use 16 bridges or 16 IA.

SteveRS

Joined Feb 5, 2021
I understand that.
So how much resistance can you tolerate in series with the strain gauge without affecting the needed accuracy?
Hey,
I'm flexible about that cause I can change the other resistors so they will take account of the value in series with the strain gauge,
You have a suggestion ??