hey guys, quick question which just occurred to me after forgetting it for ages. On voltage regulators (or other electronic equipment) where noise removal is necessary, I often see 2 capacitors instead of just one. We recently constructed a frequency meter as a project and the voltage regulator we used (i forget the model number) had two capacitors on the output of the regulator. One quite large, around 4.7 uF and a smaller one.
Why are both capacitors necessary? I know that capacitive reactance is calculated with the formula 1/(2πfc) and parallel capacitances add.
My lecturer told me this was to filter different signals and if i recall correctly, the capacitors were of different types.
Could someone perhaps just nail this down a little more for me please?
Why are both capacitors necessary? I know that capacitive reactance is calculated with the formula 1/(2πfc) and parallel capacitances add.
My lecturer told me this was to filter different signals and if i recall correctly, the capacitors were of different types.
Could someone perhaps just nail this down a little more for me please?