Multimeter probe tip holder?

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Hi, I'm looking for a plug or holder where I can plug in a multimeter probe tip. It's specially for the situations where I'm measuring in series the current. I would split the circuit in 2 and put the multimeter between both terminals. Right now I use a screw terminal, but it damages a little bit the tip and it's not really a great solution. I'd love to substitute these 2 screw terminals by something with a hole where I can insert the tip fully and it stays there nice and solid. Where can I find something like that?

I've searched in shops MM holder or MM plug but no luck so far.

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Hi. If I understand you correctly, what I do is just lay the probes on the bench and use alligator clip leads to attach to the circuit. Am I on the right path?

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
The tips are about 2 mm (0.08 inch).

Yeah, I already have alligator clips, but it's not what I want, it's not safe. I want something closed, a closed solid piece with a hole, where I can insert the probe real nice and no cable is exposed. Just imagine a screw terminal, but instead a huge hole with a screw, you only have a tiny small hole with no screw where you insert the tip and it stays there solidly.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I have a set of those little test clips like the ones used on signal generators that slips on my DMM probes, I found them at Chester Electronics in Kenosha, WI. I believe they’re good for about 5A but only have ever used it for low current uses.

You culd make one:
1580315424306.png
1580315457264.png

The pics illustrate what should be available. The lower picture is a feed-thru DIN terminal block for TS32 DIN Rail. TS35 is "T-shaped" and is normally what I use now.

The terminals come with a "missing side" because it gets covered by the adjacent block. You finish the assembly with a "terminal cover". "terminal partitions" are higher covers. For flopping around applications, you would have to glue the cover on.

The terminals usually have "wire protectors". Flat material that goes between the wire and the stranding. ferrules are the "right way" for stranded wire.

The multi function channel is usually used to bus terminals together. That test adapter would screw in there.

Nonetheless, if you pick the terminal size carefully and maybe flatten it a bit, you could insert it where the wire goes, so you would have a "straight-thru" connection.

Terminals can be screw or push in.

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Thanks for the ideas so much, some points:

1. I wouldn't like to spend time creating my own. I guessed it was going to be a fairly easy piece to find.

2. I don't want to use any kind of screw system, that's exactly what I'm using right now and it's pretty inconvenient. If you don't tighten the inserted probe with the screw, it is lose and I don't get good readings. If I tighten it, the screw damages the surface of the probe. Besides, if there's current circulating, touching the screw is like touching the hot wire, and it's an unnecessary risk. Yeah, there are screwdrivers that are insulated, but it's not convenient at all. I'm looking for something like a jack audio plug system.

It must be something like a wall outlet. You don't use screws to keep your cable plugged in, it stays as it is compressed by 2 metal pieces. I was hoping to find something like that, but much smaller, to fit a 1.5-2 mm probe.

test.png

These https://www.pomonaelectronics.com/products/hardware/pin-tip-jack-gold-plated-0 are pin jacks. 2mm hole. They come in other varieties too.

A couple of pieces of heat shrink and I think you have it.

Multimeters usually have pin jacks or Banana jacks on them.

I was looking at this as a bare wire to probe, other than an aligator clip.

I've used pharmacy bottles to make adapters too. I have a dual phono on the side to 3 alligator clips that I made. You put a grommet where the wire exits and use an underwriter's knot.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Try a Google of "Probe Tip Adapters" or "Meter Probe Tip Adapters" That should get you pages of images to choose from. Just for example 2mm probe to 4mm Banana. Over the years I have seen dozens to choose from. When looking the problem is frequently the wording used in a search.

Ron

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Try a Google of "Probe Tip Adapters" or "Meter Probe Tip Adapters" That should get you pages of images to choose from. Just for example 2mm probe to 4mm Banana. Over the years I have seen dozens to choose from. When looking the problem is frequently the wording used in a search.

Ron
yeah, I didn't really know what to search. I'll try that.