Multifunction printer making weird noise

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Just shut down the printer. Was going to connect it to a LAN and set up my computer to print via the LAN as opposed to printing from a dedicated computer. That way my wife could print to my printer from her computer if she desired without having to copy her file to a thumb drive - - - . When I turned the printer back on the speaker started making a "motor-boat" noise. I am starting to formulate what might be the issue. Anyone have an idea what their first inclining's are? I'm thinking the power supply didn't come back. Everything else plugged into the power strip is working fine, so I don't think it's anything to do with the power. Does the same thing when I plug it directly into the wall (no power strip, no protection).

The green light (on the power strip) indicates a good ground. The other light, the one that says "Protected" is red. Is it supposed to be red? My other power strip (different kind) has green for ground and a red for protected lights. I'm assuming a red protected light means it's protected. And nothing else on the circuit has been affected.

What's your take?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Didn't think that would matter, I'm asking about the peculiar noise it's making - as if it's not getting sufficient power. But if it helps it's a Samsung SCX-4725NF. And no, I'm not asking anyone to look up parts or specs or tell me which screw to turn first. Just looking for an opinion.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The printer has a speaker? Mine can beep but I don't think it's really a speaker. My point it, is the noise really coming from a speaker or could it the power supply itself? Not that the answer gets you any closer to a fix. Could there have been a shift of something mechanical, maybe blocking the printer's startup routine?

Some printers have a button combination that triggers a self test or the printing of a test page. Might be worth a go.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I don't think it has anything to do with power or your power strip.

Most likely the printer isn't initializing correctly, or it's really broken.

Search the WEB for any diagnostic modes for your printer. One of my printers will enter diagnostic mode when the power switch is held for a certain number of seconds. Think it's my Lexmark Optra E+ laser printer...

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
This is a multifunction printer. Scanner, fax, copper as well as printer. It has a speaker inside it - I know this for a fact. About six months ago I had the machine disassembled for cleaning and replacing a few rubber wheels that had gotten hard and wouldn't pick up the paper. Got that working fine. Today I wanted to network them and decided it would probably be best to power everything down before making connections. Maybe that wasn't necessary, but it couldn't hurt. Now every time I switch the power on it makes a motorboat sound - just like an old tube style radio I had when I was young. Low power there made the system sound like a motorboat engine. If you like I can record it and post it, but that would take some time.

That actually sounds like a paper jam. Once you open all of the covers and look, the jam indicator usually clears.

One of the quickest fixes after having a jam is to reverse the natural "curl" of the paper. Just open the paper tray and install the paper upside down. If you look real hard in your manual, there might be a blurb about "paper curl".

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
No, not a jam. The printer beeps when there's a jam. This is nothing like a beep. The sonic alert that beeps when there's a jam is its own sound source. This is the speaker on the side of the unit designed to function along with the fax.

When I turn it on the speaker starts making a - well - a farting sound. Nothing like a jam alert. AND the lights don't come on and the display remains blank. Doesn't say "Please wait while the printer warms up". Doesn't do anything. Just farts and farts and farts. Will do that if I let it run for hours.

Trying to upload a video. Not having much luck. File name "Video.MOV" Probably won't upload that extension, I didn't see it in the acceptable category.

Let me try something else.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Doesn't do anything. Just farts and farts and farts. Will do that if I let it run for hours.
That's a bad sign. I'd suspect a bad bridge rectifier or blown filter cap there. If it's downstream of that, it's pretty much out of my comfort zone. Maybe it failed with the inrush current when it was powered down and then back up.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Thanks Wayne. Now I have an idea where to start looking. I just fixed a monitor yesterday. Had a bad cap. Electrolytic. Top was split open. Replaced it and the monitor works fine now. Wondering what might be the exact problem. Not even sure I want to tear back into this machine. It's a Laser Jet printer, so it's a good one, maybe worth the money. I just spent $30 replacing some rubber wheels, not a big deal. Now the power supply seems to have pooped out.

Well, when I get back from Vegas maybe I'll be able to buy a new printer. If not - I'll start the process of tearing into this thing again and see if it's something I want to fix. New printers of the same caliber are around $150.00, so - - - .

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
As it makes a noise the PSU must be at least partly functional. Maybe it's doing that thing that they do when they detect a fault on the output - shut down and try again, over and over again.

Love the cat toy and, of course, the puddy tat.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Only connection is the power cable. Ethernet disconnected, USB cable is not connected. None of the lights come on as they usually do. Likely the power supply pooped a pooch.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you're not in the mood to repair it, I've learned that you can sell on eBay stuff that I never dreamed had any value. If you get $30 for it, you're that much closer to a new one. The new wireless printers are a nice convenience.

I was in Vegas just last month. If you like Mediterranean tapas or Thai, I can point you to a couple of great places.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
We like the Rain Forest Cafe. Hooters is always entertaining. Good sticky-fingers. Just don't stick your fingers where they don't belong.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The dome of C105 looks like it's blown upwards, just not completely blown out. What's your opinion? Can this be the cause of my woe's?image1.JPGimage1 2.JPGimage1 3.JPG

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Thanks DL. It's a 1500µF 10V cap. I don't think I have one in my piles of stock. Maybe on some old board I might have one. It's bulging, and none of the others show any sign of distress. The board looks good so far but I don't want to start messing with it plugged in. I'll swap the cap and see what happens. If it still doesn't work I'll check the Bridge Rectifier.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
BR voltage shows 164 VDC. Line voltage is 121.8 VAC and power is routed through a torrid transformer. Doesn't look like it changes the voltage very much at all - I still don't understand those things.