Multi-Level Laser Trip Plane

Clancy

Joined Mar 24, 2015
The circuit I'm trying to make is very similar to a laser tripwire circuit but with a few exceptions that I'm having trouble with.

I need a circuit with 12v DC power from a wall wart then regulated to supply 3V 10mW laser pointers that emit lines rather than dots. Each laser line will shine on 4 sensors simultaneously (I’m thinking either L14F1, PDB-C142, or any better option that will handle some ambient light fluctuations and still function for the sensors) that will activate a 6W 12V solenoid when any sensor is tripped (not receiving laser light) and have bi-color green/red LEDs on each of the sensors to indicate which sensor is tripped (red when tripped). That's the main idea of each circuit.

Then I need additional circuits that connect via daisy chain to the first/main circuit with 3 wires carrying power, ground, and a third wire that feeds back to the first circuit and activates the same solenoid if any of its 4 sensors are tripped. Each board/circuit should control one 10mW laser line and 4 sensors. The idea is that each board can monitor a level plane and if any of the laser fields (or flat planes) is tripped then the small 6 watt 12V solenoid will activate until the plane is no longer crossed.

I would like the ability to add additional identical circuits/boards (each with 1 laser, 4 sensors and 4 bi-color LEDs) by daisy chaining them together up to a total of 6. This will enable the entire device to monitor up to 6 flat planes.

So far for each circuit I have a LM317, LM339, (maybe a LM324?) a trim-pot to adjust sensitivity and to help with ambient light interference, 4 phototransistors (sensors), 1 10mW laser line, a BUZ101S, and various capacitors and resistors. I’m not sure if it’s better to regulate the voltage for all the lasers on the main board then send it to the other possible 6 or regulate the 12V down to 3V on each board.

Attachments

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
The circuit I'm trying to make is very similar to a laser tripwire circuit but with a few exceptions that I'm having trouble with.

So far for each circuit I have a LM317, LM339, (maybe a LM324?) a trim-pot to adjust sensitivity and to help with ambient light interference, 4 phototransistors (sensors), 1 10mW laser line, a BUZ101S, and various capacitors and resistors. I’m not sure if it’s better to regulate the voltage for all the lasers on the main board then send it to the other possible 6 or regulate the 12V down to 3V on each board.
You've got all the right bits and the "various capacitors and resistors" will certainly come in handy; now, connect them together according to your design.

Clancy

Joined Mar 24, 2015
Here's a really bad scan of the circuit I have so far. My friend drew this when he was working on it. He passed away last week which is why I need help now so please refrain from ripping his work apart please. We had just started it and this is how far we got. He was in the process of adding a LM339 and the various other parts I mentioned. Yes, help with the circuit design is what I need and that is my question. The circuit I attached did work when we tested it. I just need something I can build on a breadboard so I have at least a starting place to get me going so I can finish his work. Thanks again, I appreciate any help and please understand that I know little about what I'm doing with electronics. I do have a degree in Mechanical Engineer so I am capable of learning.

Attachments

Clancy

Joined Mar 24, 2015
Also, I've revised the verbiage a little below to hopefully make more sense and included the following questions that someone else asked me that may be helpful:

1) The drawing shows that each laser hits 4 sensors . So is there some sort of mechanical scanner to sweep the laser in a plane?
No, the laser uses a lens to make the light into a line.

2) Could all 3 circuits be on 1 circuit board?
I suppose; however, I do need to physically separate at least each laser with a set of 4 lasers and 4 bi-color LEDs.

3) Will there be another circuit board (x3) to hold the sensors?
The sensors will be physically mounted to a bar to keep them in a straight line. The wiring needs to go to it's own circuit or a main circuit depending on the solution to question 1 above.

Here is the re-wording of the problem:

I need a circuit with 12v DC power from a wall wart then regulated to supply 3V 10mW laser pointers that emit lines rather than dots. Each laser line will shine on 4 sensors simultaneously (I’m thinking either L14F1, PDB-C142, or any better option that will handle some ambient light fluctuations and still function for the sensors) that will activate a 6W 12V solenoid when any sensor is tripped (not receiving laser light) and have bi-color green/red LEDs on each of the sensors to indicate which sensor is tripped (red when tripped). That's the main idea of each circuit.

Then I need additional circuits that connect via daisy chain to the first/main circuit with 3 wires carrying power, ground, and a third wire that feeds back to the first circuit and activates the same solenoid if any of its 4 sensors are tripped. Each board/circuit should control one 10mW laser line and 4 sensors. The idea is that each board can monitor a level plane and if any of the laser fields (or flat planes) is tripped then the small 6 watt 12V solenoid will activate until the plane is no longer crossed.

I would like the ability to add additional identical circuits/boards (each with 1 laser, 4 sensors and 4 bi-color LEDs) by daisy chaining them together up to a total of 6. This will enable the entire device to monitor up to 6 flat planes.

Clancy

Joined Mar 24, 2015
Oops, not sure how to edit the last post but there's a typo. It's below in red: "lasers" should be "sensors".

2) Could all 3 circuits be on 1 circuit board?
I suppose; however, I do need to physically separate at least each laser with a set of 4 lasers and 4 bi-color LEDs.

Clancy

Joined Mar 24, 2015
After receiving some advice from another friend, I'm now thinking it be easier to just use a micro-controller of some kind. Thank you all for your time.