MS-DOS

gimini75

Joined Mar 28, 2009
Hi

I want your help, I have a spreadsheet which contains a sequence motions for 3 stepper motors in conjugations with the stepper driver, the spreadsheet is in binary code and ASCII code, now I want to send this code through the serial port to the stepper driver, I want to know how to tell MS-DOS to send a stream of data of (8) bites to stepper driver and wait for a signal to come back from the stepper driver ($) and then send another stream of data till all the data being send, the spreadsheet which I have I will save it as (CVS) file, please if you know how to use the MS-DOS commands for this particular purpose please tell me.

Thanks for your help

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
MS-DOS is an obsolete operating system. That aside, you may find that an OS can't do any of those functions.

What you need is a programming language to build a program that will control the underlying processor to perform a set of operations. Ones that come to mind are GWBASIC and QuickBasic 4.5. There is also assembler.

Have you any of the BASICS or MASM available?

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
gimini75, I have to ask, are you actually using the old Dos I used to know? I've been thinking of getting an older computer with Dos so that I have full control over it. I had some MASM programming books that gave me some functions for IO, etc., but I lost them. Perhaps you could find a MASM Technical Manual for Dos on a Used Book site or at EBay. That manual is what you need for full control.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The other reference of interest is the BIOS Interrupt functions. The Assembler manual will let you know how to use them, but not the details of all of them. Some do pretty "neat stuff".