MPLAB Is it overblown?

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
I've been programming PICs for quite a while, using Pickit programmers, my latest is Pickit3. I found that it doesn't support the PIC I'm using, so I've ordered a Pickit4.

The 4 requires that I use MPLAB. This is a comprehensive program, and has may bells and whistles, but for me I program in Oshonsoft (I'm used to it and it works for me) so I only need an IPE to program.
Where the Pickit 3 programmer shows small on my screen, Mplab takes up loads of space, in fact it's in the way.

As far as I can see, all I need is a program that will put the program on the PIC, so why is Mplab so overblown?
Cheers, Camerart.

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
Yoy can use MPLAB IPE if you want only program the chip, no need to bring up whole IDE. MPLAB IPE is installed during MPLABX installation, on my computers desktop its shape appears like MPLABX IDE icon but in yellow color (and of course with different text on it)

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Yoy can use MPLAB IPE if you want only program the chip, no need to bring up whole IDE. MPLAB IPE is installed during MPLABX installation, on my computers desktop its shape appears like MPLABX IDE icon but in yellow color (and of course with different text on it)
Hi T,
Yes, I noticed the choice late in the intallation, that allows only the IPE, but it takes up 1/2 of my laptop screen.
I'm just going to have to get used to it, but I wish there was a mini IPE :)
C

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
I'm just going to have to get used to it, but I wish there was a mini IPE
As i understood the IPE is mostly targeted to volume programming with serialization. Therefore is the IPE packed with so many options including password protected settings. I wish too some more lightweight-IPE.
Mikroelektronika and CCS have somewhat simpler programmer interfaces but their programmers costs more. If you do not use their IDE toolchains then IMHO there is no reason to buy these programmers.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi,
I've been programming PICs for quite a while, using Pickit programmers, my latest is Pickit3. I found that it doesn't support the PIC I'm using, so I've ordered a Pickit4.

The 4 requires that I use MPLAB. This is a comprehensive program, and has may bells and whistles, but for me I program in Oshonsoft (I'm used to it and it works for me) so I only need an IPE to program.
Where the Pickit 3 programmer shows small on my screen, Mplab takes up loads of space, in fact it's in the way.

As far as I can see, all I need is a program that will put the program on the PIC, so why is Mplab so overblown?
Cheers, Camerart.
AFAIK you are the only one complaining. I'm going to go with no since it seems to be doing good things for MCHP and the rest of of the PIC community.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Which PIC is not supported by PICKIT 3 ?
Hi J,
Long story short!
After re-chcking the Pickits hardware and software both support the PIC I'm working on, so for now I'll use this, and think about Pickit4 and Mplab, if all else fails.
Thanks, C.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm not a fan of MPLAB ... it's too crowded with features, and one has to dig deep into it to change settings, etc... but after a couple of years of using it, I've come to appreciate what its authors intended to do. They tried to make a programming and editing environment focused on projects management ... and they succeeded, more or less. Albeit in a non-orthodox manner, IMHO.

What I do is use MPLAB to connect and program my pic devices, but I DO NOT use its editor. I use Programmer's Notepad 2 instead ... it's a superb editor that is far easier to use and much more intuitive in its handling of syntax, bookmarks, search and replace, etc...

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
I'm not a fan of MPLAB ... it's too crowded with features, and one has to dig deep into it to change settings, etc... but after a couple of years of using it, I've come to appreciate what its authors intended to do. They tried to make a programming and editing environment focused on projects management ... and they succeeded, more or less. Albeit in a non-orthodox manner, IMHO.

What I do is use MPLAB to connect and program my pic devices, but I DO NOT use its editor. I use Programmer's Notepad 2 instead ... it's a superb editor that is far easier to use and much more intuitive in its handling of syntax, bookmarks, search and replace, etc...
Hi M,
I have 2x Pickit3s that now work fine with the Pickit software, and I use Oshonsoft for editing/programming, as it has a simulator, that helps me a lot. I'm sure I will be 'forced't to use Mplab in the future, which I'm sure is very good as it has been adopted by the majority, I suspect.
Yesterday a Pickit4 arrived. Not cheap, and no instructions! I gave it a quick try with Mplab and it didn't connect, so back in it's box, for as long as I can hold out :)
C

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
I have 2x Pickit3s that now work fine with the Pickit software, and I use Oshonsoft for editing/programming, as it has a simulator, that helps me a lot. I'm sure I will be 'forced't to use Mplab in the future, which I'm sure is very good as it has been adopted by the majority, I suspect.
I doubt the Oshonsoft Basic has plugin for MPLAB so you are forced to learn some other language supported by MPLAB. Over the years i have used several Microchip proprietary (MPASM and C) and 3-rd party vendors language tools with MPLAB- MELabs PicBasic and PicBasicPro, Hi-Tech C and CCS PICC. Moving from one language to another isn't too difficult if you have right approach, despite the style of "language thinking" is somewhat different.

Yesterday a Pickit4 arrived. Not cheap, and no instructions! I gave it a quick try with Mplab and it didn't connect, so back in it's box, for as long as I can hold out
PIcKit4 works with MPLABX not with old MPLAB.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Check out IPECMD, the command line interface for programming. This is what I use, since I have my own compiler and IDE. It installs with MPLAB.

Bob

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Check out IPECMD, the command line interface for programming. This is what I use, since I have my own compiler and IDE. It installs with MPLAB.

Bob
Hi B,
Your system is far beyond my capabilities. I use Oshonsoft BASIC exclusively. Sadly, I am unable to change. (Many have tried :))
C.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
I doubt the Oshonsoft Basic has plugin for MPLAB so you are forced to learn some other language supported by MPLAB. Over the years i have used several Microchip proprietary (MPASM and C) and 3-rd party vendors language tools with MPLAB- MELabs PicBasic and PicBasicPro, Hi-Tech C and CCS PICC. Moving from one language to another isn't too difficult if you have right approach, despite the style of "language thinking" is somewhat different.

PIcKit4 works with MPLABX not with old MPLAB.
Hi T,
I haven't seem MplabX! Is it what I'm looking for, a tiny program, that sits in the bottom corner of my screen? Or perhaps an even bigger program to Mplab, perfect.
C

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hi T,
I haven't seem MplabX! Is it what I'm looking for, a tiny program, that sits in the bottom corner of my screen? Or perhaps an even bigger program to Mplab, perfect.
C
Just to clarify, I'm using MplabX ... not the plain old Mplab. And yes, it's compatible with assembly, and yes it's big and clunky and cumbersome...

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Hi B,
Your system is far beyond my capabilities. I use Oshonsoft BASIC exclusively. Sadly, I am unable to change. (Many have tried :))
C.
IPECMD is a command line interface to the IPE program included with MPLABX, not part of my system. It takes no screen space, it simply runs IPE with no window to program your device.

Bob