MPLAB contain spaces or odd characters

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,

I'm new to MPLAB and it isn't as easy as it could be. I don't know why this is as it looks impressive, but takes too much effort to learn:( (Note to designers make things easier!)

I am getting errors see attached. There are errors, in this instance "There are errors in the project HVP, something to do with spaces? HPV doesn't any spaces, so why the error?

Camerart

Attachments

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
From the nature of your errors it seems you are not using MPLAB.

You are using MPLAB-X, correct?

The first error means you do not have the C18 compiler installed or registered with MPLAB. It typically gets registered when installed so just re install it and all should be well.

For the second error, I count seven spaces in the string:

"C:\Users\Brunel\Desktop\PIC\SORTED PIC PROGRAMS\NMEA TRACKER\Last program x3\18F2431\AZEL\18F2431 on PIC1 101115\MPLAB\HVP\HVP.hex"

It is looking at the entire path and name.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi,

I'm new to MPLAB and it isn't as easy as it could be. I don't know why this is as it looks impressive, but takes too much effort to learn:( (Note to designers make things easier!)

I am getting errors see attached. There are errors, in this instance "There are errors in the project HVP, something to do with spaces? HPV doesn't any spaces, so why the error?

Camerart
If things were always designed from scratch by a single person or even a small group your note might have some relevance. It is the economies of scale that demand that once something is developed it be reused since the cost of redeveloping it for a new environment is so huge. Having embedded spaces in a file name is just something most people could not imagine in their wildest dreams. Why do you think it is so reasonable?

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi, Ernie and Papa,

I've upgraded MPLAB X IPE and IDE. I'll take back my negative comments !.

I was using IDE instead of the IPE, which is what I was hoping for, and is similar to the Pickit2 one (Not difficult:) ).

EDIT: I tried reading a PIC on the IPE, and it did that, but where does it put the HEX file? (Answer: The IPE doesn't save files)

Thanks C.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I tried reading a PIC, and it did that, but where does it put the HEX file?
I am much more familiar with non-X but there it puts it nowhere until you save it somewhere.

Just like any word processor your work is lost until you do a save, or here possibly an "export".

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't know for sure, but it might create a temporary file with an unrecognizable name as long as you are just viewing it. It is only when you save the file that it gets a recognizable name and location which can be wherever you want it to be.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi Both,

I added an edit to my question. If I'm correct the MPLAB IPE only LOADS HEX file READS PIC and compares or verifies it with the loaded HEX file. I can't speak the programming language used in MPLABX as I only know PIC BASIC, and use the Oshonsoft Simulator for compiling etc. This IPE is all I need to program the PICs using Pickit3.

EDIT: I can now read and export the HEX file (for comparison)

C.

Attachments

Last edited: