Mplab broken

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
I'm programming PICs with Mplab, but today it wouldn't work!
I tried un-reinstalling it, and OFF/ON the computer, but the Pickit3 doesn't connect, even though it 'sees' the Pickit3.
I downloaded this:
Is it ok for programming or what is it?
The Pickit3 program works and programs ok.
Camerart.

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I tried un-reinstalling it, and OFF/ON the computer, but the Pickit3 doesn't connect, even though it 'sees' the Pickit3.
Which PIC are you trying to program?
Are you completely sure that the connections between the PIC and PICKIT3 are correct?

Please copy the messages from an attempted program here.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Which PIC are you trying to program?
Are you completely sure that the connections between the PIC and PICKIT3 are correct?

Please copy the messages from an attempted program here.
Hi A,
I've tried a few PICs, but Mplab/Pickit3 is not connecting to the PCB, where the Pickit3 programmer program, does, and can program any PIC.
No messages, only no connection.
C

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
In MPLAB go to PROGRAMMER...SETTINGS...COMMUNICATIONS and try each of the COM ports. My version has 4 and you have to try each one until it "sees" it.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
In MPLAB go to PROGRAMMER...SETTINGS...COMMUNICATIONS and try each of the COM ports. My version has 4 and you have to try each one until it "sees" it.
Hi P,
It 'sees' the programmer, but as from today, doesn't connect to this or any PCB.
C

Attachments

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
If PICkit3 is not in MPLAB mode then MPLAB can't use it. To switch PICkit into MPLAB mode you must quit MPLAB, start PICkit3 programmer interface with connected PICkit3 and select under Tools menu "Revert to MPLAB mode". After some writing operations PICkit progammer interface gives strange errors, quit this program and start MPLAB again.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I had problems with the PICKIT for a long time. Recently I found bad USB yokes as the main reason.
I bought an expensive USB yoke in a regular shop, problems just disappeared.

Also on Windows dont plug in the PICKIT when the drivers arent yet installed.
You need to remove all from the system, then first install MPLABX before plugging in the PICKIT for the first time.

The PICKIT can power small circuits i.E. just the controller and some LEDs.
PICs always need a small capacitor. If you leave it out the PIC may work for some hours then fail.
Some PICs also need a resistor on the MCLR.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Are you going to PROGRAMMER...SELECT PROGRAMMER...PROGRAMMER ENABLE?
Hi P,
I have the Mplab programmer, as in #1, which has those setting, but I've never used that version before.
It didn't work.

I have been using the version in #5 for a long time, but I couldn't find those settings.
In the settings screen, it does show Pickit3 to go, but that is grayed out.
C

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
If PICkit3 is not in MPLAB mode then MPLAB can't use it. To switch PICkit into MPLAB mode you must quit MPLAB, start PICkit3 programmer interface with connected PICkit3 and select under Tools menu "Revert to MPLAB mode". After some writing operations PICkit progammer interface gives strange errors, quit this program and start MPLAB again.
Hi T,
I followed your suggestion, and this worked:)
It appears that Mplab must have forgotten to work over night.

(Now Pickit3 doesn't work, but that's fine, I now understand)
Thanks.
C

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
I had problems with the PICKIT for a long time. Recently I found bad USB yokes as the main reason.
I bought an expensive USB yoke in a regular shop, problems just disappeared.

Also on Windows dont plug in the PICKIT when the drivers arent yet installed.
You need to remove all from the system, then first install MPLABX before plugging in the PICKIT for the first time.

The PICKIT can power small circuits i.E. just the controller and some LEDs.
PICs always need a small capacitor. If you leave it out the PIC may work for some hours then fail.
Some PICs also need a resistor on the MCLR.
Hi T,
I was working through the replies, and if you notice this is now solved in #10, perhaps it will help you also.
C

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
You can switch PICkit3 back for this PICkit3 programmer inteface if you need, use Tools menu "Download PICkit operating system" option.
Hi T,
True!
This morning no programmer worked. I tried Pickit3 program, and did the "Download PICkit operating system" routine, then later after #10 I reverted back to Mplab, so the jolt must have woken it up again.
C

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Might be time to get a Pickit 4. I always had the kind if problems you are having with the 3, never with the 4.

Bob

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Hi T,
I was working through the replies, and if you notice this is now solved in #10, perhaps it will help you also.
C
Thats not entirely clear. I use MPLABX though have used the old MPLAB years ago.
I had a PICKIT2 and now I have two PICKIT3.

And I had connection issues many many times.

This time I tried a new USB yoke and no problems at all.

By the way MPLABX will flash the latest firmware theres no MPLAB mode the PICKIT needs to be in.

But the connection issues with PICKIT2 under the old MPLAB were about the same and now recently I believe bad USB yokes are to blame for that.

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
I remember there were problems when using PICkit3 concurrently with MPLABX and MPLAB. My PICkit3 works ok with IPE v4.05. Fortunately i can use ICD3 with MPLAB and ICD4 with MPLABX.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Thats not entirely clear. I use MPLABX though have used the old MPLAB years ago.
I had a PICKIT2 and now I have two PICKIT3.

And I had connection issues many many times.

This time I tried a new USB yoke and no problems at all.

By the way MPLABX will flash the latest firmware theres no MPLAB mode the PICKIT needs to be in.

But the connection issues with PICKIT2 under the old MPLAB were about the same and now recently I believe bad USB yokes are to blame for that.
Hi T,
What's a USB yoke? I tried different USB ports.

'By the way MPLABX will flash the latest firmware theres no MPLAB mode the PICKIT needs to be in.' See attached.
C

Attachments