MP3 is dead. Long live mp3

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Hmm. Interesting.

On a related note I have a Vizio smart TV which as much as I like it is very limited on what formats for both audio and video it will take which means most every show or movie I have to down load has to be ran through an A/V format converter program to change it into something it will take.

Mpeg4 for video and MP3 for audio seem to be the most stable formats it takes which really annoys me being most every show and movie now comes in MKV format requiring a rather time consuming re formatting that tends to leave odd visual artifacts behind at times unless it's set to convert to some odd screen size ratio that leaves large black borders. :mad:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sounds like evolution to me. I didn't learn 8080 MPU language because Basic and Fortran were available in 1974.:cool:
Does anybody still use 8080 language?
I still have a CRT TV that needs a converter box to display over-the-air signals.:rolleyes: It's about 15 years old and the only repair it has needed was to resolder the vertical driver chip.:cool: It too will eventually die.:(
Personally, I'm not too miffed about the death of a, "standard" that has losses which are obvious to a trained ear.
Whatever comes next.;)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Personally, I'm not too miffed about the death of a, "standard" that has losses which are obvious to a trained ear.
Whatever comes next.;)
Yeah, mp3 is only a thing because of being in the right place at the right time and not because it was such a great format. It was briefly the standard currency of digitized (pirated) audio. But that brief interval was when most people first came into contact with digital song files. The files on CDs don't count, because they were not really 'files' to most people at the time. So mp3 files suddenly appeared everywhere just as the world was discovering they could fill their hard drives with pirated digital music files. Few bothered to go back and get better copies as better formats came along. That in turn helped iTunes since it was selling a clearly superior product cheaply enough that it wasn't worth your trouble to go around it.

Just as with vinyl, there are internet trolls still extolling the virtues of the latest flavors of mp3. They must feel betrayed by this announcement.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Several Thumbs Up!
Somebody will sell my vinyl and my direct drive turntable after I'm dead.:mad:
My Technics Linear tracking turntable and vinyl collection are insured by Smith&Wesson. :p

I have thousands of 320k mp3 rips for casual listening but vinyl is the choice during serious music time.

windadct

Joined Feb 25, 2013
IMO MP3 is the worst of all of the available formats, it was just the first that had manageable file sizes- in addition to "sharing" - it allowed portable digital players, and libraries on your PC. ~200 CD take up approx 100G - only the latest PC HD can spare that kind of space.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
My Technics Linear tracking turntable and vinyl collection are insured by Smith&Wesson. :p

I have thousands of 320k mp3 rips for casual listening but vinyl is the choice during serious music time.
Yes. What would good music be without the pops, cracks, wow, and flutter.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Every time I look you up, I remember why you're on my Ignore list. Have you decided to be a full time troll on this site, or do you occasionally give helpful advice? Don't answer. The odds that I will again open the Ignores for this Thread are small because the rest of us can have an educational conversation without reading your attempts to get a reaction.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Every time I look you up, I remember why you're on my Ignore list. Have you decided to be a full time troll on this site, or do you occasionally give helpful advice? Don't answer. The odds that I will again open the Ignores for this Thread are small because the rest of us can have an educational conversation without reading your attempts to get a reaction.
Instead of being a dick, why don't you just continue to ignore me?

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
With good equipment and vinyl you don't have pops, cracks, wow, and flutter (>0.025% WRMS on my player).;) My preferred digital format archive is 96/24 MLP Lossless DVD Audio for home and car (Kenwood deck with 5.1 96/24 MLP Lossless decoding) but MP3 sounds about as good in a car for most sourced materials.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
With good equipment and vinyl you don't have pops, cracks, wow, and flutter (>0.025% WRMS on my player).;) My preferred digital format archive is 96/24 MLP Lossless DVD Audio for home and car (Kenwood deck with 5.1 96/24 MLP Lossless decoding) but MP3 sounds about as good in a car for most sourced materials.
My point is that a cheap CD player generally sounds better than a similarly priced turntable. In fact, I'd argue that, all else being equal, 5 out of 10 audiophiles would guess wrong in a proper A/B setup of similarly priced equipment.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Hey, while we are at it, why don't we admit 1940s cellulose is a better motion picture format than bluray DVD on a ultraHD screen?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
My point is that a cheap CD player generally sounds better than a similarly priced turntable. In fact, I'd argue that, all else being equal, 5 out of 10 audiophiles would guess wrong in a proper A/B setup of similarly priced equipment.
No question about that but I'm not doing a A/B setup evaluation because I know technically digital is better and cheaper. The aural pleasure I get from vinyl is purely based on an emotional response to music from physical records.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
No question about that but I'm not doing a A/B setup evaluation because I know technically digital is better and cheaper. The aural pleasure I get from vinyl is purely based on an emotional response to music from physical records.
Understood, and acceptable. Same reason why I dig out the ol' TRS-80 every couple of months and play Big 5's version of Space Invaders.