Movies that make you smile?

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
Loved most everything with Kurt Russel, but especially Big Trouble!

I recently smiled when we finished 4.5 seasons of Battlestar Galactica. I smiled because it was OVER! Excellent acting, direction, effects, but the plot was confusing, bizarre, and just tragedy after tragedy. I recall the DVD set was hard to get, anyone interested, I will most definitely not watch those again.

Now we've started watching Red Dwarf, a British Sci-fi comedy. Much less depressing than BG.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Loved most everything with Kurt Russel, but especially Big Trouble!

I recently smiled when we finished 4.5 seasons of Battlestar Galactica. I smiled because it was OVER! Excellent acting, direction, effects, but the plot was confusing, bizarre, and just tragedy after tragedy. I recall the DVD set was hard to get, anyone interested, I will most definitely not watch those again.

Now we've started watching Red Dwarf, a British Sci-fi comedy. Much less depressing than BG.
I liked BSG because it was confusing, bizarre, and just tragedy after tragedy. It reminded me of most long-term cold-war Navy military operations. A ship load of intense boredom combined with the fear of total annihilation at the press of a button.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Big Trouble was a sleeper with a cult following,

Kurt Russell movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Russell

YearTitleRoleNotes
20013000 Miles to GracelandMichael Zane
1991BackdraftStephen McCaffrey / Dennis McCaffrey
1986Big Trouble in Little ChinaJack Burton
2015Bone TomahawkSheriff Franklin Hunt
1997BreakdownJeff Taylor
1992Captain RonCaptain Ron Rico
1973Charley and the AngelRay Ferris
2019CryptoMartin Duran, Sr.
2007CutlassDadShort film
2002Dark BlueEldon Perry
2007Death ProofStuntman Mike McKay
2016Deepwater HorizonJimmy Harrell
2005DreamerBen Crane
1996Escape from L.A."Snake" PlisskenAlso writer and producer
1981Escape from New YorkSnake Plissken
1996Executive DecisionDavid Grant
1966Follow Me, Boys!Whitey
1971Fools' ParadeJohnny Jesus
1994Forrest GumpElvis PresleyUncredited voice role[48][49]
2015Furious 7Mr. Nobody
2017Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2Ego the Living Planet
1969Guns in the HeatherRich Evans
1964Guns of DiabloJamie McPheeters
2002Interstate 60Captain Ives
1963It Happened at the World's FairBoy Kicking MikeUncredited cameo[46]
2004Jiminy Glick in LalawoodHimself
2004MiracleHerb Brooks
1967Mosby's MaraudersWillie Prentiss[47]
1972Now You See Him, Now You Don'tDexter Riley
2019Once Upon a Time in HollywoodRandy MillerAlso the narrator
1987OverboardDean Proffitt
2006PoseidonRobert Ramsey
2019QT8: The First EightHimselfDocumentary[51]
1983SilkwoodDrew Stephens
2005Sky HighSteve Stronghold / The Commander
1998SoldierTodd 3465
1994StargateColonel Jonathan "Jack" O'Neil
1973SuperdadBart
1984Swing ShiftLucky Lockhart
1989Tango & CashLieutenant Gabriel Cash
1988Tequila SunriseNick Frescia
2013The Art of the StealCrunch Calhoun
1971The Barefoot ExecutiveSteven Post
2014The Battered Bastards of BaseballHimselfDocumentary
1986The Best of TimesReno Hightower
1976The Captive: The Longest Drive 2Morgan "Two Persons" Bodeen
2018The Christmas ChroniclesSanta Claus[50]
2020The Christmas Chronicles 2Santa ClausAlso producer
1969The Computer Wore Tennis ShoesDexter Riley
2017The Fate of the FuriousMr. Nobody
1981The Fox and the HoundCopperVoice role
2015The Hateful EightJohn Ruth
1968The Horse in the Gray Flannel SuitRonnie Gardner
1985The Mean SeasonMalcolm Anderson
1968The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family BandSidney Bower
1975The Strongest Man in the WorldDexter Riley
1982The ThingR.J. MacReady
1993TombstoneWyatt Earp
2011TouchbackCoach Hand
1992Unlawful EntryMichael Carr
1980Used CarsRudy Russo
2001Vanilla SkyCurtis McCabe
1989Winter PeopleWayland Jackson
What a career, not to mention TV.

kv

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
I remember watching this one on Walt Disney, and the prequel "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" on a small black and white TV in our basement, circa 74 or so.
I liked BSG because it was confusing, bizarre, and just tragedy after tragedy.
I would recommend someone watch the last half season first, then start at the beginning, so things make sense. I delayed reading commentary online until completing the series, but notably, there are several scenes where one character is chasing a pigeon out of his apartment. Screenwriter admitted, these scenes had no meaning whatsoever, they just liked them. IMO that applied to much of the series, but I'm glad someone liked it.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I would recommend someone watch the last half season first, then start at the beginning, so things make sense. I delayed reading commentary online until completing the series, but notably, there are several scenes where one character is chasing a pigeon out of his apartment. Screenwriter admitted, these scenes had no meaning whatsoever, they just liked them. IMO that applied to much of the series, but I'm glad someone liked it.
Many things in that type of situation have no meaning and looking from meaning other than boredom breaking is meaningless.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Anything non Hollywood with Mads Mikkelsen. He is an amazing actor. His american movies do not do him justice.

His Dutch dark comedies are amazing - "Green Butchers", "Adam's Apples", "Flickering Lights"... and then there are movies such as "The Hunt" and "Flame and Citron". I really wish I spoke the language...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Last night I watched the 4-hour, Zack Snyder Justice League.... that is, the much anticipated "Snyder Cut" of its infamous predecessor...

The result was a far, far better movie than the original. It is much richer, darker and has much more depth. It has the hell of a lot better dialogs, and the characters that had been abused by the previous director's infantile view have been taken much more seriously, which in a way has made them more real... even in a fantasy story such as this. Yes, there are a few shared scenes between this version and the previous one, but their context has been changed because the story itself is a different one.

My only regret now is having watched the first version in the first place. I never ever want to watch it again so as not to pollute the excellent impression made by the Snyder Cut with its predecessor's crappy script.

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
This one did not make me smile, but it is very good movie. Turkish on Netflix. "Paper Lives". Istanbul is beautiful too. Havent seen a movie this good in a while.