MOV

jhelmick

Joined Mar 24, 2006
I have a 10 VDC Max signal, I want to use a Varistor.....just in case the 10 goes up, It is a signal to a inverter controller, no load to speak of, any suggestions on the specifics of what I should use???

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by jhelmick@Apr 11 2006, 12:14 PM
I have a 10 VDC Max signal, I want to use a Varistor.....just in case the 10 goes up, It is a signal to a inverter controller, no load to speak of, any suggestions on the specifics of what I should use???
[post=16060]Quoted post[/post]​
Your topic mentions an MOV and your content mentions varistor. They are 2 very different devices. A MOV is an over voltage protection device which is what you seem to be asking about. A varistor is a voltage controlled resistor which in some instances may suit your needs with some other ciruitry but not by itself.

I would actually suggest a 10V Zener diode on the I/P. As you say there is very little load this should be fine.

jhelmick

Joined Mar 24, 2006
I am a little....maybe alot ignorant on this, I just want to be sure if my 10 VDC gets out of control it will not take out my inverter control, which can handle a max of 10 VDC input, I was told to put a varistor across the +/- and if the voltage goes higher it will protect my inverter. I guess I thought MOV and Varistor was the same. If I put a 10V Zener diode across the the +/- that will protect against overvoltage is what you are saying.

Originally posted by windoze killa@Apr 10 2006, 08:50 PM
Your topic mentions an MOV and your content mentions varistor. They are 2 very different devices. A MOV is an over voltage protection device which is what you seem to be asking about. A varistor is a voltage controlled resistor which in some instances may suit your needs with some other ciruitry but not by itself.

I would actually suggest a 10V Zener diode on the I/P. As you say there is very little load this should be fine.
[post=16061]Quoted post[/post]​

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by jhelmick@Apr 11 2006, 01:07 PM
I am a little....maybe alot ignorant on this, I just want to be sure if my 10 VDC gets out of control it will not take out my inverter control, which can handle a max of 10 VDC input, I was told to put a varistor across the +/- and if the voltage goes higher it will protect my inverter. I guess I thought MOV and Varistor was the same. If I put a 10V Zener diode across the the +/- that will protect against overvoltage is what you are saying.
[post=16062]Quoted post[/post]​
Yes. I believe a Zener would be best. But before I put that in concrete, where is this 10V signal coming from? What would cause it to rise above the 10V? How much above 10V is it likely to go?

jhelmick

Joined Mar 24, 2006
I started a post a few weeks ago about dropping a 110VDC to 10VDC, got straightend out on how to do that, If you can check my post, it will explain what I did, AND I appreciate all this help!

Originally posted by windoze killa@Apr 10 2006, 09:22 PM
Yes. I believe a Zener would be best. But before I put that in concrete, where is this 10V signal coming from? What would cause it to rise above the 10V? How much above 10V is it likely to go?
[post=16063]Quoted post[/post]​