Motorcycles

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Originally Posted by strantor --That's the whole point of the thread; that's the reason why I'm saying riding bikes is stupid.
Well that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. ;) I'm been riding two-wheeled powered vehicles since I was 15. Started with a Cushman I bought for $60, then to a 200cc Triumph, and on up to a 1050 Triumph I'm driving now. I've gone down twice during slow speed turns where there was sand on a concrete road, and broadsided once by a drunk going through a red light (fortunately only minor injuries from that). All-in-all I've probably driven them in the neighborhood of 200k miles total (had 110k on my Honda 650 before I got the Triumph). Fortunately, likely due to some luck and defensive driving (such as assuming no one else can see me) I'm still here. I understand they are a somewhat dangerous from of transportation but I enjoy driving too much to give it up (at least until my reflexes get too bad for that). Sorta like sky diving or scuba diving, or rock climbing or extreme skiing -- things people do for enjoyment in spite of the risks. If you never did anything risky, life when tend to be somewhat boring.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Right turn, apply the throttle before the rear tire clears the clutter in the gutter and down you go. Tears the right elbow out of your shirt every time. :D

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Sorta like sky diving or scuba diving, or rock climbing or extreme skiing -- things people do for enjoyment in spite of the risks. If you never did anything risky, life when tend to be somewhat boring.
That's what I was trying to say. In fact, I think the risk is part of the enjoyment. Isn't that what adventure is all about? Some of us are more risk averse than others, but all of us do things that create the potential for harm to ourselves. It's the type and degree of risk that varies among us.

Some people hold the handrail on stairs, and some don't.

Some people play the stock market, and some don't.

Some people play black jack, and some don't.

Some people start conversations with strangers, and some don't.

Some people engage in unprotected sex, and some don't.

Some people take the flu shot, and some don't.

Some people drive two mph over the speed limit, and some drive 20 mph over.

Some people express their emotions and opinions easily, and some don't.

Some people use potentially addictive or harmful substances, and some don't. (animal fat, sugar, aspartame, tetrahydrocannabinol, alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, benzodiazepine, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc.)

ad nauseum

So, I suppose we all do things that are potentially self harmful. The difference is simply which risks we choose to take. Are all risky activities "stupid?" If so, life is "stupid," because the only way of avoiding all risk in life is literally suicide.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
So, I suppose we all do things that are potentially self harmful. The difference is simply which risks we choose to take. Are all risky activities "stupid?" If so, life is "stupid," because the only way of avoiding all risk in life is literally suicide.
Excellent point. I admit, I hadn't thought of it that way, but now that I have, I'm still not convinced it's not stupid. You're talking of risk vs. Reward, and I agree not all risk is stupid, especially in cases where the potential reward outweighs the risk. If I categorize things in terms of risk/reward ratio, I still lump riding motorcycles in the "stupid" category, right below smoking crack and playing russian roulette. It's probably one of the riskiest things that otherwise average people regularly engage in, and the only reward is a nice drive without a winshield to dampen the sensory involvement of the experience. Wouldn't it be better to just roll your windows down and smash out your windshield?

But that's just from my perspective. I don't think the level of risk is a matter of opinion, but perhaps the level of reward is subjective. I guess those who choose to ride even after repeated potentially fatal experiences, get a level of enjoyment from it that I didn't, that I can't understand, and that is high enough for them to willingly risk early termination to obtain it.

So, I'll leave it at that; it's a matter of opinion, and I apologize if mine has offended anyone.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
In Europe, where urban centers are crippled with traffic and small spaces, any serious delivery man needs to ride a scooter or a Honda-Cub-Type motorcycle.

The fact that you don't even have a word for this type of motorcycle while we do (we call them ducklings) means something, in my opinion.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
If you never did anything risky, life when tend to be somewhat boring.
In some cases, life would get so boring a person would feel compelled to make all kinds of disparaging remarks about those who decide life is worth some risk. Remember, life isn't measured in the number of breaths you take, but the number of times your breath is taken away.

Been scootin' for near 40 years now.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I take a different approach. I make sure that drivers see me.
I wear a bright fluorescent yellow-green workman's jacket in the winter and a similarly colored vest in the summer.

Zerotolerance

Joined Sep 18, 2011
I like risks and adventures of all types :p Especially those that get your adrenaline flowing :) Probably why I've broken so many bones and had tons of stitches hehe. I will never regret living life on the edge.

P.S.- Of course I try and remain as safe as possible when doing dangerous, adrenaline pounding, adventurous things, but won't ever stop until the day I die.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I had a similar conversation with my nephew. I said, "Dog is going to give me a dirty look when I turn this body in". He said, "No, Dog is going to pat you on the back and say you did a good job of using it all up before you died".

I don't agree with my nephew, but it's merely a difference of opinion.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I like risks and adventures of all types :p Especially those that get your adrenaline flowing Probably why I've broken so many bones and had tons of stitches hehe. I will never regret living life on the edge.
Can't say I live on the edge exactly but I seem to end up in the emergency room for one reason or another about every 3 - 4 years.

Yea I have more scars than I can count and a few good stories to explain how they got there! :D

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The fact that you don't even have a word for [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Super_Cub" said:
this[/URL] type of motorcycle while we do (we call them ducklings) means something, in my opinion.
We call them "scooters"

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
A "moped" can be peddled. We had one of those 70's Honda 70. We just called it a motorcycle. The "Monkey" looks like what we call a mini-bike, but it has a transmission, whereas a mini-bike doesn't.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
In Europe, where urban centers are crippled with traffic and small spaces, any serious delivery man needs to ride a scooter or a Honda-Cub-Type motorcycle.

The fact that you don't even have a word for this type of motorcycle while we do (we call them ducklings) means something, in my opinion.
We used to call them "motorcycles", now we don't call them anything. I don't think they have been available in the US since the early 1970s - and nobody found good use for them then. If someone wanted to go somewhere, they use a car. If somebody wants to have fun riding a motorcycle (or chooses to ride a motorcycle), they select a motorcycle that can go 70mph without emitting frequencies that result in permanent nerve damage.

Also, most states require a minimum of 125 cc to ride on interstate highways and tollways. I don't think any manufacturer sells any street motorcycles smaller than 250 cc. I think kawasaki just moved their 250 mini-Ninja to a 300 in 2013.