motor over current sensing circuit

segalamit

Joined Feb 18, 2017
Hi, i need to build a circuit with the following spec:

using a 12v supply I need to run a 6v servo motor (with internal resistance of 10ohms)
-when the current on the motor will be more than 1A, i need to cutoff the power to it, and light a red led light.
-when the current goes down 1A, the power can only be restored by pressing a reset switch (which will also will turn the led light off).

the thing is i can only use simple components (diodes, transistors, resistors, op amps etc, NO IC, relays, software...)

Moderator's Note.
Please don't do double post, one thread is enough.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi, i need to build a circuit with the following spec:

using a 12v supply I need to run a 6v servo motor (with internal resistance of 10ohms)
-when the current on the motor will be more than 1A, i need to cutoff the power to it, and light a red led light.
-when the current goes down 1A, the power can only be restored by pressing a reset switch (which will also will turn the led light off).

the thing is i can only use simple componenets (diodes, transistors, resistors, opamps etc, NO IC, relays, software...)

Do you want the power to shutdown (no current to motor) or do you want it to just get limited to 1 amp.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
it looks great thanks!!

-where should i place the LED warning light?
-what is Q3? i couldnt figure it out
Q3 is a p-channel MOSFET

Are you going to make an attempt to describe how it works? Then I'll post the LED.

Note: simply placing an LED in the existing circuit will alter the operation.

segalamit

Joined Feb 18, 2017
Q3 is a p-channel MOSFET

Are you going to make an attempt to describe how it works? Then I'll post the LED.

Note: simply placing an LED in the existing circuit will alter the operation.
I need the LED to be turned ON when overcurrent of 1A was detected (and the motor is without power)
and to be turned OFF when i press the reset switch (and than the power to the motor is restored).

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I need the LED to be turned ON when overcurrent of 1A was detected (and the motor is without power)
and to be turned OFF when i press the reset switch (and than the power to the motor is restored).
I know.

I need some investment from you to look at what I've done for you and make sure you know how it works. Imagine your professor asking you the same thing snd having no lifeguard (me) there to protect (help) you?

segalamit

Joined Feb 18, 2017
I understand that.
i was mange to build a different circuit and came across the same problem of "where to put the LED" .
That's why i'm asking.

My knowledge in the electronics field is limited, that's why i'm asking for help.

and again, thank you for you help.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I understand that.
i was mange to build a different circuit and came across the same problem of "where to put the LED" .
That's why i'm asking.

My knowledge in the electronics field is limited, that's why i'm asking for help.

and again, thank you for you help.
the triangles are best described as Comparitors with 12V supply. Op amps may not give the desired response if they are not rail to rail inputs and outputs.

image.png

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
it looks like some connections are missing.

Q4 drain

The (-) input of Op_Amp_3T_Virtual is not connected correctly.

The transistor you are using ZTX694 is rated for 0.5 A max - you should use a transistor (preferably a Darlington) rated over 5A and Hfe of 1000.

Your probes are not in the correct location to measure current flow through the motor.

I don't see any connections for your 20 ohm "load" to a 6V supply. Probe 2 should connect to the Top-most connection of that 20 ohm pot, NOT TO THE BASE OF THE ZTX694.

segalamit

Joined Feb 18, 2017
it looks like some connections are missing.

Q4 drain

The (-) input of Op_Amp_3T_Virtual is not connected correctly.

The transistor you are using ZTX694 is rated for 0.5 A max - you should use a transistor (preferably a Darlington) rated over 5A and Hfe of 1000.

Your probes are not in the correct location to measure current flow through the motor.

I don't see any connections for your 20 ohm "load" to a 6V supply. Probe 2 should connect to the Top-most connection of that 20 ohm pot, NOT TO THE BASE OF THE ZTX694.
I did some changes, now the current is very low,
what am I doing wrong?
upload_2017-2-21_15-9-46.png