Morse Code Project

jrod

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Hey everyone! For my final project in microcontrollers class I used two Freescale HCS08 microcontrollers to send and receive morse code. One of the HCS08's sends characters in morse code and the other decodes the morse code and prints the dots, dashes, and characters to a LCD display.

Here is a link to a video I made for my project: http://youtu.be/KxT9MEaeFjA

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions for improvement. Please excuse my messy wiring. :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Very nice!

Hook a morse code keyer up to it and get it to translate from morse code to text.

Add a TTY feature to it and you could do away with the LCD and keypad. You could then use your monitor and keyboard.

jrod

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Thanks guys, I like those ideas.

What is the best way to TTY? I'm pretty sure my development board has a RS-232 connection.

Doing that would also free up a lot of I/O pins that were used for the LCD.

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
VERY, very nice, and congratulations!:)

I'm an old ham radio operator and I remember, many moons ago, sitting up until 2AM, banging on my navy knob, talking to Germany, and thinking it was the best thing in the world!

Now, I just send email!!!:D

I agree with the other comments, and would encourage something "audible", and perhaps even visible (an LED?), even though you keep the direct connection.

If you develop a microphone input, you might even consider putting it near a short wave radio and seeing it decipher the code.

Congrats again!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks guys, I like those ideas.

What is the best way to TTY? I'm pretty sure my development board has a RS-232 connection.

Doing that would also free up a lot of I/O pins that were used for the LCD.
You will need a Max232 or equivalent. The you can talk to terminal software on your PC. If the dev board has it then that is half our battle,.

If not you can put one together. It is pretty easy. I just built a board to be used for debugging software. Let me know if you need help.