more transistors in one circuit

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I am doing electronics on I would say intermediate level, but from time to time I get a feeling that my knowledge of transistors is not enough. I never studied electronics, so I would appreciate if you could give me some advice where to find some more information?
I want to learn for example when I look on a schematic of power amplifier to be able to tell why it works and why is it connected the way it is.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by kubeek@Jun 8 2006, 03:19 PM
I am doing electronics on I would say intermediate level, but from time to time I get a feeling that my knowledge of transistors is not enough. I never studied electronics, so I would appreciate if you could give me some advice where to find some more information?
I want to learn for example when I look on a schematic of power amplifier to be able to tell why it works and why is it connected the way it is.
[post=17639]Quoted post[/post]​
My recommendation is to get the freeware SPICE program from Linear Technology.

LTSPICE

Then in conjunction with the reference book of your choice you can build and simulate various simple circuits. When the simulation is complete you can see the results with virtual voltmeters, ammeters, wattmeters, and dB meters.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by Papabravo@Jun 8 2006, 10:19 PM
My recommendation is to get the freeware SPICE program from Linear Technology.

LTSPICE

Then in conjunction with the reference book of your choice you can build and simulate various simple circuits. When the simulation is complete you can see the results with virtual voltmeters, ammeters, wattmeters, and dB meters.
[post=17641]Quoted post[/post]​
Yes, of course I have a simulation programme (MicroCap - demo, but great!), but I wanted to learn the principles and stop being dependant on computer and to be able to tell the advantages/disadvantages of the design.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

That kind of knowledge takes some time to build up. You can't pick enough brains or get into too much gear.

For a couple of good articles of the why of the designs, look at Analog devices AN-211 about a current-feedback power amp. And google superamp to find Mike Leech's page. He has two very impressive amplifier designs, plus the circuit analysis. I trashed my old Dynaco Stereo 400 and put a Leech superamp in the case. The performance is just enourmously better. I like the 2/3's horsepower output, too.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by beenthere@Jun 9 2006, 09:18 AM
Hi,

That kind of knowledge takes some time to build up. You can't pick enough brains or get into too much gear.

For a couple of good articles of the why of the designs, look at Analog devices AN-211 about a current-feedback power amp. And google superamp to find Mike Leech's page. He has two very impressive amplifier designs, plus the circuit analysis. I trashed my old Dynaco Stereo 400 and put a Leech superamp in the case. The performance is just enourmously better. I like the 2/3's horsepower output, too.
[post=17646]Quoted post[/post]​
I agree totally.

To understand how transistors work and be able to calculate their parameters you need to know them down to an electron level. How the different doping levels of the silicon affects the conduction of them.

I believe that this sort of info is way beyond a simple message board. Although it would be an interesting challenge.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi,

just to add a few, why not start in fully understanding the function of a diode. it must be remembered that a transistor is practically configured like connected diodes.

there are plenty of good articles in the net that explains very well on how a transistor behaves when it is biased in such a particular way, or how it behaves when it is interconnected to another transistor, like what you have pointed out in power amps.

moz