More Efficient then a Solenoid?

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've logged in but I recently started diving back into designing circuits, nice to be back! I think solenoids are great but they consume a lot of power in my opinion. Is there anything out there that acts like a solenoid plunger but consumes a lot less power? Force behind the plunger is not a concern just the movement is of interest.

Thanks,
KCHARROIS

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've logged in but I recently started diving back into designing circuits, nice to be back! I think solenoids are great but they consume a lot of power in my opinion. Is there anything out there that acts like a solenoid plunger but consumes a lot less power? Force behind the plunger is not a concern just the movement is of interest.

Thanks,
KCHARROIS
There are various motion control devices that can move a pin left right. What is your goal?

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
Not only am I getting back into electronics I've also been getting into clocks. Trying to develop an electronic escapement with a solenoid type device vs a "hair spring".

Thanks,
Kevin

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Not only am I getting back into electronics I've also been getting into clocks. Trying to develop an electronic escapement with a solenoid type device vs a "hair spring".

Thanks,
Kevin
Then you only need a quick pulse to maintain momentum of a pendulum, or, to ratchet a cog to the next escapement.

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,
What source you will use, a battery or ac adapter. This will concern only if using a battery.
But using a chargeable battery will not make sense of problems in power.
And what loads it will driven on load side is it ac or dc source.

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
I think the the magnetic type solenoid would work wonderfully. I planned on using batteries. Maybe a 9V or two AAA1.5V not sure yet. Rechargeable batteries would be an option as well. Thank you for the great replies!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Get a "dollar store" battery clock with a second hand. Tear it apart to see what they use to make the movement. They sound like they use a escapment type movement when running and not a motor.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Get a "dollar store" battery clock with a second hand. Tear it apart to see what they use to make the movement. They sound like they use a escapment type movement when running and not a motor.
It is a stepper motor.
The sound you hear is simply the sound of the stepper motor moving one step.

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
Hi,
What source you will use, a battery or ac adapter. This will concern only if using a battery.
But using a chargeable battery will not make sense of problems in power.
And what loads it will driven on load side is it ac or dc source.
Why would rechargeable batteries not be a problem with power?