Momentarily switch between on or off radio signal

joebou

Joined Sep 26, 2015
I'm new to electronics and not all that familiar with the terminology, and this has led me to have much difficulty trying to find a solution to something that seems very simple. I will give a description of the basic problem and then describe the project, hoping someone might have some better ideas.

I have purchased a wireless power outlet remote control (http://www.amazon.ca/Woods-13569-Indoor-Wireless-Control/dp/B003ZTWYXY - but single not three pack). Currently there are two separate buttons for on and off. I need to make them one button. I have taken the connections on either side of the buttons and extended them with wires. So now I have four wires: two black that come from the battery; a red that sends the ON signal; and a yellow that sends the OFF signal. The red and yellow wires can touch either of the black wires to complete the circuit.

What I am looking for a simple way to use one button to send the ON signal when pressed the first time, no signal when released, the OFF signal when pressed the second time, no signal when released...

Is there a simple solution to this problem?

The project itself is to create large wireless pushbuttons to help people with communication disabilities that have difficulty with fine motor skills. The buttons are to be used to simply turn devices that the person may enjoy on and off, such as a radio, lamp or fan. The current solution in use costs over $500. If you look at the following site you can see some prices that see very high: http://www.rehabmart.com/category/Pediatric_Assistive_Technology.htm. A jumbo remote control for over $400. Unless I am missing something, I've seen jumbo remotes at Dollar Stores. The goal is to create a low cost, large, single button to control a power outlet to help serve more people.

Thank you in advance for any assistance and ideas.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What are your electronics building skills. Can you follow a schematic diagram, purchase electronic parts, assemble a stripboard, trouble-shoot a circuit?

Do you have a Multimeter capable of reading DC Volts?

ps, the magic word is "toggle circuit"

joebou

Joined Sep 26, 2015
What are your electronics building skills. Can you follow a schematic diagram, purchase electronic parts, assemble a stripboard, trouble-shoot a circuit?

Do you have a Multimeter capable of reading DC Volts?

ps, the magic word is "toggle circuit"
I'm OK at schematics, in slowly getting better at them. I'm capable of assembling a stripboard. My troubleshooting skills are pretty bad. And I do have access to a multimeter.
Searching toggle circuit has brought up a lot of good info, thanks.

joebou

Joined Sep 26, 2015