Model boat DIY speed control problem

I think Alec_t and I are pretty much on the same page. I'm probably more of a "suck it and see" person, his testing advice is more professional! You have shown that connecting only one of 7 or 8 works. Maybe connecting them both would work, but there is a risk of damage. His testing with a "temporary resistor (~10k) between the 'grounded' pin and Vcc" makes a lot of sense. Just connecting one of 7 and 8 via a diode will show if the IC output is sufficient to turn the Mosfet on - but it may stay on giving full speed regardless of the PWM mark/space ratio. Try this first?

Looking at the schematic, the red wire should be connected to the 5V output of the 7805, the white wire at the top left to the receiver? Not sure I'm understanding where you are seeing 8.5V.

Last edited:

Ken_NJ

Joined Feb 22, 2021
The white wire is the signal (PWM) wire from the receiver telling this device what to do. Seeing 8.5v right at the red wire which powers the receiver.

Ken_NJ

Joined Feb 22, 2021
Do I have this right?

Place a 10k resistor from pin 7 to Vc (5v)?
Place a 1n4148 from pin 8 to ground?
Then I should see one of the outputs running the motor at full speed possibly?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Until your recent post I didn't realise you were working with two boards.
DON'T use the board which is giving 8.5V on the red wire. As Sarah says, the 7805 regulator seems faulty. Fix that first. You don't want to smoke the '409 ! Perhaps the instruction about not connecting pin 10 was to allow for checking correct operation of the supply regulator before powering the '409.
Place a 10k resistor from pin 7 to Vc (5v)?
Yes, providing pin7 is still butterflied out. Then monitor the volts on pin 7 when moving the joystick for forward and reverse. The Volts should, I reckon, be 5V for one direction and something less for the other direction.
Place a 1n4148 from pin 8 to ground?
Not if I've understood Jerry's aim of providing a diode-OR arrangement for pins 7 and 8.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I wonder if it would still work in one direction with either 7 or 8 connected via a diode? If the logic level mosfet still turns on with the lower voltage then both 7 and 8 could be connected via diodes
So what do I do with the diode?
If pins 7 and 8 are intended to pull down the R3/R5 junction to turn off Q1, adding a diode there would probably fail to pull the Q1 base down low enough to turn off Q1 (and hence turn Q2 on) reliably. So although I like the diode-OR idea I don't think it will fly.

Golden rule. Only ever change one thing at a time. I recommend, leave 7 not connected and connect 8 via a diode to the transistor. I think one of three things will happen
1. It will continue to work in the one direction as before
2. It won’t work in either direction
3. It will work in the one direction but the speed won’t change with changing the input signal
I’m reluctant to suggest the next step until I know the result of that single change

Ken_NJ

Joined Feb 22, 2021
I alway use that rule, especially when it comes to electronics.

Replaced the 7805. SUCCESS!!!! Now both are working identically!

You say connect a diode from pin 8 to what?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
In following Jerry's suggestion the diode cathode goes to pin 8 and the anode goes to the R3/R5 junction.
Good that the 7805 replacement did the job.

Ken_NJ

Joined Feb 22, 2021
I do not have many diodes so I used a 1N4001, all I had.

Cathode to pin 8 to anode to R3/R5 junction.
Moving the stick up the motor spins, let’s say clockwise. Move stick down no spinning.

Move the connection to pin 7
Move the stick down the motor spins counterclockwise. Move the stick up no spinning.

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
I do not have many diodes so I used a 1N4001, all I had.

Cathode to pin 8 to anode to R3/R5 junction.
Moving the stick up the motor spins, let’s say clockwise. Move stick down no spinning.

Move the connection to pin 7
Move the stick down the motor spins counterclockwise. Move the stick up no spinning.
Now it should be purely down to whether the relays are switching over, which is controlled by the adjustment of VR1 and its associated components. If you can adjust it such that the relays switch over when you move the stick to the "no spin" side, then try connecting both pins 7 and 8 back up, so that both are connected together.

Ken_NJ

Joined Feb 22, 2021
I already have VR1 set so that when the stick is in the neutral center position, the motors are not active. I played with adjusting VR1 to either way to see if it functions correctly, which it does. I also played with VR2 how it controls the motor speed. It is functioning as expected.

Are you saying connect pins 7&8 into the circuit as they appear in the schematics? And without the diode that I inserted?
If that's the case I insert those pins back into the socket and solder pin 8 of the socket as it currently is unsoldered.

You have shown that it works with the diode. And you have shown that the reverse works. Now try it with both 7 and 8 connected via a diode.

I’m reluctant to suggest connecting pins 7 and 8 together as I think this is where we started?

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
I think the diode arrangement gives marginal operation, but hey, if it works it works.

For the avoidance of doubt, that means each of pins 7 and 8 is connected via its respective diode to R3/R5.
I think we should be getting a PWM signal on both pins 7 and 8, but only on one for each direction, hence they both need to be tied together. If only the TS had a scope!