Mobile phone signal simulator

DarkMavis

Joined Aug 24, 2014
Hey, I was wondering if it's possible to make a cheap device that mimics the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a mobile phone. It doesn't have to actually resemble a signal carrying any information, just be of a similar strength and frequency to a mobile phone making a call. Is there a single unit you can buy that does this for test purposes?

DarkMavis

Joined Aug 24, 2014
I want to e able to activate it by pushing a single button. I also don't want the signal sounding like morse code when it's picked up by audio circuits. I just wanna push a button and generate a single, constant frequency in tghe same range as from a mobile phone

DarkMavis

Joined Aug 24, 2014
Well...any frequency within the range they use would be fine. Let's just say something that will generate a UHF signal at 1 or 2 GHz

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
It's just a radio signal, so you can find/build a radio transmitter at your desired frequency. I think 0.6W is a typical transmitter strength, but you might want to research that. However, if you really want to simulate the signal frequency/strength relationship, you would need to use a similar modulation scheme as current phones rather than transmitting at a single frequency.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I want to be able to activate it by pushing a single button.
That would be the power button of the cellphone. That would turn on the radio. Or you could toggle a smartphone in and out of "airplane mode", which disables the radios.
I also don't want the signal sounding like morse code when it's picked up by audio circuits.
I only get that type of short range interference when the phone is receiving a digital message, for instance an e-mail. I think if you're using an old cellphone without an account, it won't generate any of that interference.
I just wanna push a button and generate a single, constant frequency in tghe same range as from a mobile phone
As noted, that's not what cellphones really do.

Maybe it's time to talk about what you are really wanting to accomplish?

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I only get that type of short range interference when the phone is receiving a digital message, for instance an e-mail. I think if you're using an old cellphone without an account, it won't generate any of that interference.
I seem to hear that kind of interference when a call is being initiated. I guess it is something like the radio starting at full power and backing off to a lower level as it negotiates with the cell tower.

Many years (decades!) ago when mobile phones were bricks and we had CRT monitors, the guy who sat at the desk that backed on to mine had one of these bricks and I could tell he was about to get a call because of the interference on my monitor.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Like bypassing the forum rules on building cellphone jammers? ;)
Hadn't even thought of that! Could be what we're talking about.

I just can't grasp the project when the task is to simulate a cellphone radio, except for behaviors X,Y&Z that a genuine cellphone radio - something that is free to obtain - normally exhibits.

DarkMavis

Joined Aug 24, 2014
Like bypassing the forum rules on building cellphone jammers?
No, much as cell phone users annoy me, should it get to the level where I want them to stop, I think it will be far more satisfying to physically take their phone off them and smash it over their skull. At the moment, though, I'm happy to let them walk off cliffs, down wells, and into roads because they are too busy talking to all the people who are nowhere near them.
Let's forget the cell phone thing, then. The reason I mention them is because, currently, a cell phone is the best thing I've found to accomplish what I want. Namely to set off a cheap Kii industries EMF meter from the greatest distance possible. I've used large pulsed coils, and relays wired as buzzers but the effect can never be detected from more than a few feet. A mobile phone, however, sets the things off from a LONG way off. However, you can tell by the way the reading dance up and down that it's a phone.

DarkMavis

Joined Aug 24, 2014
So, I did a quick search and found a 433mhz tone generator/transmitter used for tracking crashed model planes I think that will do the trick without jamming anybody's cell phones. So don't worry; y'all can still talk about lame movies on Facebook while walking from A to B

Or is there a better way?

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Politeness and respect are two better ways, when you want people to take their time to help you.

But feel free to go with whatever works for you. :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...a cell phone is the best thing I've found to accomplish what I want. Namely to set off a cheap Kii industries EMF meter from the greatest distance possible.
Hahaha, so you want to simulate a ghost?

It's hard to tell what the ideal solution would be, without experimental results. The ads for that device mention low frequency fields but don't mention radio frequencies that also give a response.

Have you tried things like garage door openers, baby monitors, cordless phones (which used to be very similar to baby monitors), walkie talkies and so on? I'm thinking if you can identify consumer devices that give the right result, you'll have an inexpensive solution. No point in building your own wheel.

There are a lot of experimenters playing with GSM radios in their projects. I wonder if you could use one of those, but just turn it on to transmit without any data (or just a tone?) being communicated.

DarkMavis

Joined Aug 24, 2014
Politeness and respect are two better ways, when you want people to take their time to help you.

But feel free to go with whatever works for you. :)
Niooo. I was mocking cell phones in general, and the way people are glued to them. I wasn't mocking any individual other than all the millions of individuals who can't take their eyes off their phones. Ugh! I revived a necro'd thread to say that! If someone wants to close it, feel free,

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Niooo. I was mocking cell phones in general, and the way people are glued to them. I wasn't mocking any individual other than all the millions of individuals who can't take their eyes off their phones. Ugh! I revived a necro'd thread to say that! If someone wants to close it, feel free,
It's your thread, you are allowed. As for hurting feelings, @THE_RB hasn't been around in a while.

DarkMavis

Joined Aug 24, 2014
Are you sure? I can't seem to figure out how. I looked in the thread tools and the options dealie down the bottom. I'll just let it go back to sleep

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Are you sure? I can't seem to figure out how. I looked in the thread tools and the options dealie down the bottom. I'll just let it go back to sleep
I meant that you can post to it any time you like. Only Moderators can close it but they need a reason, generally.