Mobile charger as Ni-MH charger

Arup

Joined Apr 13, 2006
Hi,
I've a LG mobile phone fast desktop charger lying around with the following ratings
input 12V, 0.3A
output 4.2 V 0.5
it has 3 pins at the output, the battery fits into a slot over it and has a bicolour LED for charge indication (red - charging, green - done)
the circuit consists of 3 ICs
K1A494AP - PWM controller
LM358N - OP AMP
GMS81C1102 - 8 bit CMOS microcontroller.

My question is can this charger be used as a Ni-MH charger after modding the output voltage to 1.8/2.0 V.
also what is the function of the third pin on the charger and the battery?

Thanks and regards
Arup

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by Arup@Apr 13 2006, 06:53 AM
My question is can this charger be used as a Ni-MH charger after modding the output voltage to 1.8/2.0 V.
best answer is: maybe
it depdends on the circuit.

the third pin is usually connected to temperature sensor.

paultwang

Joined Mar 8, 2006
Originally posted by Arup@Apr 12 2006, 11:53 PM
Hi,
I've a LG mobile phone fast desktop charger lying around ...

[post=16138]Quoted post[/post]​

A quick note: Your phone charger probably recharges a lithium ion battery. I am not sure if you can apply the Li-ion recharge pattern to NiMH batteries.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Originally posted by paultwang@Apr 13 2006, 07:47 AM
A quick note: Your phone charger probably recharges a lithium ion battery. I am not sure if you can apply the Li-ion recharge pattern to NiMH batteries.
[post=16144]Quoted post[/post]​
Thats pretty much the way I understand it as well. Not 100% on LIon charging, but I think is a constant voltage charge (4.2v per cell which would tie in with your figures) and Charge detection based on a drop off in current.
NiMH however (like NiCads) use a constant CURRENT charge with detection using either a slight drop in cell voltage at full charge, or the rise in cell temperature. I believe NiMH also like a fast charge.