(MISS-)use of diplomatic immunity.!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Using Google maps to find the shrine at the site of the crash, I can tell you she turned left ignoring the fact that the junction had been made almost into a slip-road for traffic turning left, then ignored marking on the road showing the traffic direction, then ignoring a sign in English that says "Drive on the left". The vehicles met a slight bend in the road. Both vehicles would have been on the right hand side of the road.
Be careful using today's pictures for what was there in 2019. Safety improvements have been made after the fact.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Be careful using today's pictures for what was there in 2019. Safety improvements have been made after the fact.
Good point.
The "Drive on the left sign" is more recent than 2011 (and it does have a bit of a shiny and new look to it), but the slip-road and road marking were there then.
Screenshot at 2022-12-11 20-19-36.png

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
8.25pm (the time quoted by Wikipedia) is after sunset in late August. The Speed limit was 40mph.
thanks for that. the speed limit signs show "40" but you are right, I forget that UK is the exception.
driving at night would suggest using headlights which tend to give an equivalent of early warning.
so far everything indicates that not paying attention was indeed the major factor.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
thanks for that. the speed limit signs show "40" but you are right, I forget that UK is the exception.
driving at night would suggest using headlights which tend to give an equivalent of early warning.
so far everything indicates that not paying attention was indeed the major factor.
Sunset is 20:02, so it would be dusk. I find it needs more attention to drive at that time of day than when it is properly dark. The law requires headlights to be used after 30 minutes after sunset ("lighting up time"), so it wouldn't actually be legally required to use headlights, but I bet Volvos have automatic headlights, and motorbikes have headlights on permanently.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Doesn't the law now in the UK that any vehicle newer than Feb 2011 be fitted with DRL's?
I would wager that her auto had DRL's fitted, also auto night lights..

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
You just reminded me of an experience I once had driving at night. Two motorcycles, far away, appeared to be car, very close, coming right at me. Very scary for an instant.